What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tomatoes in buckets in the greenhouse are starting to go over, I took the last two fruits off one today, one ripe one almost ripe, jazzed up the soil a bit ad planted radish. I like using buckets, they are a reasonable size for a lot of things, they have a handle that makes them easy to move about, or pop in the greenhouse overnight, and they have a pouring lip. I have no real evidence, but the stationary nature of plants makes me think they probably like staying in the same orientation, so I always stand my buckets with that pouring lip pointing South.
I also did a few other small jobs, putting in canes and tying up peppers for example, but mainly I cut the front hedge between us and the neighbour. It's a leylandii and has gradually grown out over the drive as it has been trimmed, so I went to town and cut it back hard. Had to re-charge the hedge cutter battery a couple of times, but it was good to get a break, I have passed the age of going at things hammer and tongs, and it gave me a chance to do those other little jobs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Raining, and looks like carrying on all day, greenhouse will be pristine :)
Going to Wisley (Kew gardens other site) and meeting daughter and family for a picnic, so strictly other people's garden, but a good one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been gone couple days and had a pile of stuff to do.

Watered and Watered. Picked Cucumbers. Peppers, Okra and Beans.

My wife had a bunch of Pears so Canned Pears, Pear Honey and Pear Butter.

She said no more Beans or Cucumbers. We're still going to have plenty other stuff.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Picked Green Beans , Peppers and pulled some Turnips.

Tied up Tomatoes and did some watering.

Our Son dug Gas Line for my Greenhouse and cleared some underbrush he had already dug Water Line at our Cabin. He says Dad your Cabin is setting on a rock. We'll Son you know what the Bible says.

big rockpile

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Watered everything.

My wife stole some German Garlic seed.

Drove 80 miles for a HOA meeting. Oh we decided to have it later in the month.

Oh that made me happy. Wasted bulk of the day on a Road Trip.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a day for gardening today.
It's been raining and the wind has been very strong.
This mimosa that's now over fifteen feet tall, we've had for a couple of years, was "straining at the leash."

P1020259.JPG

It's put on a lot of growth this year and takes a considerable amount of restraining.

P1020263.JPG

I had intended to give it a prune late in the year, but I was concerned it could break away given how strong was the wind, so I decided to do it this morning.
It was a bit of a pain to do. I used my Barnel telescopic pruner. A case of taking a bit off then stepping back to see the shape, then take off more.

I think it looks OK, less dominant for something in a side bed. There will be plenty of flowers on it next month.

P1020261.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
End of the year really, couple of days rain and blight started in the outside tomatoes. Pruned a lot of dead stuff and out of the snowball viburnum and had a good fire, burnt the tomato plants and a lot of clay, last plums are off so should prune the plum tree today, it's a bit late, but there was still fruit until very recently, saw a big old fox under it the other day eating the drops, and I know the badger has some. Must sort a greenhouse heater to get the last from aubergines and peppers, they say it is going to be cold tonight, down to 5C.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went into the unheated greenhouse this morning at about 8.45am. Thermometer was showing about 9.8C. Still got plenty of tomatoes there including ox heart, Costa Lucca, plum and both dark cherry and larger dark ones. Some are splitting a bit - must be changing temperature. So will be chopped up in lamb mince and onions to stuff a couple of round yellow courgettes to bake in oven.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some are splitting a bit - must be changing temperature.
More likely an uneven watering issue. Mind you as temp changes so do evaporation rates, so it could affect.

I mainly pruned the plum tree, quite a job, it didn't get done last year. Took out a lot of dead/old growth, removed a lot of suckers, and bent a few down weighted with logs to provide some new growth. Looking good for it.
Picked up the fire I had night before last, still a little bit burning red in the middle, but I didn't want it washing through with rain. Hoed a bit, watered in greenhouses.

Ask a Question