What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's a constant battle pruning off unwanted shoots of our several well established wisterias. They can grow several inches overnight.

But I've got them under control, (for a few days).

P1020215.JPG
P1020217.JPG

P1020216.JPG
P1020218.JPG

P1020218.JPG

P1020219.JPG

Same with our big "lollypop" acer in the front garden.
Another chore, to remove branches which "bolt" and want to spoil its symmetrical shape.

P1020214.JPG

I went into the garden of the unoccupied house next door and dragged the bindweed growing out of control in several places, away from the party (my) fence.

The grass of what was the lawn, is so high, I'm amazed that the hedgehogs still manage to make their way to the "doorway" in the fence near the bottom of the garden. I cleared away the weeds and grass in front of the entrance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
After all the storms/rains, finally was able to take out 8 wheel barrels of fallen limbs from just the front yard and cut the grass. Wooded gardens. Now I will get into one of the beds and have a good weed out, just that grassy junk. Attached pic shows front garden in the early spring for lawn size. From front door to road is about 100 paces.
Front of house..jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not been in the garden for a few days as we have had our seven year old grand daughter staying, but she did enjoy picking tomatoes with me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Slow day picked Bush Green Beans, Peppers and Tomatoes.

Cleaned up one Tub got some Worm Castings.

Sprayed my Squash with Neem.

Checked on my Marigolds by the road they are coming up.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of wisteria pruning.

Our main border of our small garden is quite densely planted with rhodos and azaleas.

P1020243.JPG

P1020244.JPG

P1020245.JPG

We've also some quinces planted against the party fence.
I don't like them growing above the fence as their shadow can facilitate the growth of moss along the border of the lawn, or grow out towards the rest of the plants, so they need constant pruning at this time of the year.

But I created "back stage corridor" where I can access these quite easily.
I also prune any of the azaleas or rhodos that start to grow backwards into this space.

P1020246.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been "Digging a grave", as the missus calls it, I am gradually working my way around the veg garden digging out down to the clay sub soil then taking a bit more and replacing it with wood, compost on top of that, then replace the top soil, it makes a huge difference, especially during dry spells. I am putting the clay around the edge of the bed I raised using paving slabs, should be able to take the slabs out next year when it has all settled down, I did a small bed like it and it works very well, the clay wall keeps it constant in moisture and temp. better than anything else I have tried.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All I've done so far today is prepare a small seed bed, plant summer squash seeds and cut the lawn. Summer squash grows better here in spring, early summer, and late summer/early fall than it does in mid summer which seems to be too hot for it, it languishes.

Ask a Question