What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Just general housekeeping of both gardens. Mowing and a bit of pruning.

Front lawn looking quite good despite getting very little sun.

P1020188.JPG

This acer is a pain at this time of the year. A lot of branches "bolt" so the tree looks like a pin cushion, or the coronavirus. So I need my multi-ladder in the tall stepladder configuration and my telescopic pruner, to get at them from all sides. It's deceptive here, as it as tall as the eaves of the roof.

P1020189.JPG

Back lawn looking not too bad.

P1020190.JPG

Pruned back these rhodos, they were getting too wide and tall. I really ought to move them. They were supposed to be a short-term replacement for an azalea which died.
I've an azalea in a tub which would look better there.

P1020191.JPG

Gave the azaleas here a bit of a trim, they were beginning to cover the lantern.

P1020192.JPG

Now with the new 25mm mains water pipe and the new water meter, I can use my pop-up lawn sprinklers.

P1020193.JPG

P1020194.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
just a bit of "garden management," today.

I bought a couple of rhodos that were reduced to clear in Aldi, three years ago.
I put them here, to fill a gap as a temporary measure where an azalea had died.

P1050139.JPG

But they "grew like Topsy."
This year, they put on an impressive display, outfacing the azaleas on either side and behind them

P1010898.JPG

A couple of days ago I pruned off the tops, but that did nothing to hide the fact that they looked out of place amongst the azaleas.

P1020191.JPG

They'd keep growing and there's nowhere else for them in our small garden. What we needed there was another azalea.

So today I decided they'd have to go. It was very hard to remove the roots, I had to use a crowbar as a chisel with a lump hammer.

We had "a suitable case for treatment." This azalea usually lives with the "unloved roses" next to the fence at the side of our drive, where they get little sun.
It has taken its turn on "sentry duty," in the ceramic pot outside our front door, earlier this year.

P1010859.JPG

So now it has found a new permanent home. It'll grow into the space.

P1020195.JPG

P1020196.JPG

Replanting anything in the middle of a hot July afternoon would be unwise. That's why it's still in its plastic pot, in the big hole I dug for it. I'll plant it out towards the end of the year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sprayed Zucchini for Squash Bugs. I don't think it is going to make it.

Planted and repotted some plants.

Watered some plants.

Got some seed off a little Daisy and going to get seed off Coleus.

Picked some Jalapeños.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Picked Peppers and some Tomatoes off my Sons plants.

Have figured I lost my Zucchini to Squash Bugs got a place I'll replant.

Figured out my mulch is good everything in the garden is really growing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watered everything. Cut some Turnip Greens.

See my Potatoes are not going to sprout and my Zucchini isn't doing well because of Squash Bugs. Got this idea plant Zucchini where the Potatoes are. Got bunch of Marigolds in there and the whole garden smells like Basil maybe this will work.

Got another strip I'm going to plant in Cabbage.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Mowed the lawn, treated a few patches of moss on the lawn at the bottom of the garden with iron sulphate. Cleared weeds and dead leaves behind the planting in the main border.
Gave my jukeboxes a good "run out" while I was working. It is possible to select every side of every record, so for one it's 100, the other it's 160. But I settled for just forty on one. That's about two and a bit hours.

Ask a Question