What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Sunday--weeded out the large bed near the house. Discovered a yellow jacket hive, will have to gas it. Cut the entire back yard. Suppose to rain today. Discovered a sweet Robin nest tucked in the Oak Leaf hydrangea, why they built it 5 feet from the ground. SMH, have a cute pic of the nest with eggs in it. See if I can get back to this thread with my cell and post it.
20240720_123956.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's annoying when that happens. I've a couple of plastic buckets that I use when I'm pruning to collect what I've cut off. Yesterday I carelessly chucked my secateurs into one and made a hole in the bottom, so I'll have to buy another.
I can't like your post because now we're both in the same boat !!😄 Nothing there to like !!

Lowe's has a black steel wheelbarrow on sale for $79.00 so I got that one. It's a 5 cubic foot capacity but has pneumatic tires. I have my flat-free tire from my little red one that I plan to switvh onto it. Not a bad price. It's marked down from $99.00
1721671668884.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
1721671857835.png
out the large bed near the house. Discovered a yellow jacket hive, will have to gas it. Cut the entire back yard. Suppose to rain today. Discovered a sweet Robin nest tucked in the Oak Leaf hydrangea, why they built it 5 feet from the ground. SMH, have a cute pic of the nest with eggs in it. See if I can get back to this thread with my cell and post it.View attachment 104532
@Esther Knapicius, yellow jackets are your friend. I never had as bug- free garden as when I had a nest in the yard. They fly all through your crops and pick off all kinds of larvae and insects to feed to their young.

Send them to me -eeee !!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius, yellow jackets are your friend. I never had as bug- free garden as when I had a nest in the yard. They fly all through your crops and pick off all kinds of larvae and insects to feed to their young.

Send them to me -eeee !!
and then jump up on my thigh and sting me. OUCH.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rarely had a wasp sting, but they are painful, caustic rather than the acid of a bee sting, which means they last longer. The worst part of a bee sting comes later with an immune reaction to the proteins in it, that means you get used to them and bee keepers who get stung regularly just brush them off, wasp stings always hurt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I also have the brown wasp's deciding to make their egg nests under the curve part of my wooded deck bench. Its not a lovely thing sitting there and hearing the buzzing just behind my ear. So I have to flip the bench. Get a long handle and scrap out the nest and toss it to the lawn. I am such a home wreaker. Meanwhile the wasp moms are flying about looking in the general area where the bench had been. So I spray the area later with insect spray and hope they don't do it again. Seems each year they do. We have a whole entire 10 acre woods, go there and nest up all you want. Leave my bench alone.

Right now, raining a lot. so the ground Yellow Jackets are safe, I am not fussing with them. And too much involved with our next trip away. But when we get back. Same with the Yellow Jackets, go to the woods, no one goes there, there is 10 acres right there , don't pick on my flower bed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I changed out the pneumatic tire on my new wheelbarrow for a flat free tire. Mixed up some feed for my clematis, the 4 of them, their 6 week fish fertilizer feed, and prepped my shed to become a rose arbor.

This Ce'cile Brunner has been in the ground now for two years. First year I did a lot of pruning to get her into shape for training her onto my potting shed. She blooms her head off every spring.

Isn't she wild ? !!😆
IMG_20240723_194658.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was already to do some watering but all seemed OK.

My wife bought a Flower I really like. Was looking today ball of seed 😎 and a new Bloom next to it.

Repotted some Spearmint.

Turned some Compost.

Was looking at my regular Garden second planting of Bush Green Beans are Blooming. Pole Beans are looking good.

Cucumbers are Blooming. My Squash is being contrary not wanting to climb.

Going tomorrow to see a Herbalis on my Cancer.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Covid means I have not got out there for a bit, the lawns look terrible, but we have been getting four or five tomatoes a day and a cucumber or two from the greenhouse, though watering it makes me breathless and I come in and sit down.
Still, starting to feel a bit better.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the thought, Esther, already feeling a bit better, but not well yet. Yes, drinking lots, and orange juice is wonderful the way it cuts through all the nasties. VitD I reckon I am probably OK for, I spend so much time outside normally, and even now I tend to sit out on the bench and look at it. Zinc is worth thinking about as I am veggie, but I usually start the day with milk and cereal, I always try and get things in me with food rather than as tablets

Ask a Question