What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mulched my Tomatoes. Noticed my Marigolds coming up that I planted.

Seen my Cabbage is coming up

My Son is all that Green weeds? No that is Basil.

Sprayed his Tomatoes and my Zucchini with Soap.

Did some watering.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
More of the same, just general garden housekeeping.

Pruned some more wisteria side shoots and tidied the azaleas where they overhang the main patio. Tied up some of the larger azaleas and rhodos, and pulled them back where they were overhanging the lawn, it encourages moss to form if I don't.
Pruned this little acer, which would resemble a pin cushion if I didn't.

P1020103.JPG

Did the same for the big acer in the front garden.

P1020106.JPG

Then mowed the back lawn, edged it with my strimmer and vacced the whole garden and patios then fed the lawn and treated a few areas for moss. You shouldn't do it after mowing, I'm told, but it's never bothered me, nor the lawn.
Put food out for the hedgehogs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mowed the grass with my new Greenworks battery powered riding mower. I drove it home from the store I bought it from, a mile down the road, on the sidewalk !! 😄 I got some funny looks !!

1721520418021.png

It was so much FUN !!
I have been mowing half an acre with a battery powered self propelled 21" mower. I must have walked 1 000 miles in the last 4 years with that thing. At 70 I think it's time I ride .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
79 and still walking, it really is one of the best forms of exercise, I would have loved to have seen you riding it home :)

Edit, self propelled!! I have to push mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
No gardening today, I'm up to date with most things, it's the final day of the Open Championship. It'll be on the TV all day, as will the cricket between England and the West Indies.
But I did go out and feed the birds and the squirrels.

Quite a bit of hedgehog activity last night and in the early hours of the morning. I've had to make the front of this house where I leave the food "cat proof" hence the wires. It's like a "stockade," but the hedgehogs are used to it.
Both houses are presently unoccupied and have been for over a year, but there's at least three that come to the garden to feed on the pellets I leave out for them. I cleaned out both houses, sprayed the interiors with Nutradol to mask the smell of any previous occupants and put in fresh hay. We're hoping one or even two will take up residence later in the year. Hedgehog houses are their best chance of surviving the winter, as they can be kept dry.

I moved this house away from near the hedgehog doorway in the side fence to the little bed with the bamboo forest against the back fence. Easier for me to get at to put in their food. I often find that slugs have also found the food, but obviously, I can't put down slug pellets. Anyway, I thought it was the hedgehogs' job to get rid of slugs for us. They are "falling down on their job."

Twenty to five in the morning and it's already a bright sunny day.

IMAG0017.JPG

IMAG0021.JPG

IMAG0019.JPG

This is our sorbus that has lived in this corner of the garden for thirty years.

P1020166.JPG

P1020168.JPG

We bought it at Bents garden centre and I remember it wasn't cheap and not a well balanced example, but it was the only one they had. It was about six feet tall and we had to have it delivered.

Over the first few years I straightened out the kink in the trunk a bit, wired the branches to get them to adopt a better spread and shaped the top. I also removed a couple of the lower branches last year. I shape the top now and again as occasionally a branch will "bolt."

Therefore, it's only about 12ft tall, but now reasonably proportioned for our small garden.

It tends no go unnoticed by visitors.

But we're happy as it is.

It "does its own thing."
Some years there's very little blossom, so few berries at the end of the summer. But this year it seems to be bothered. There will be a lot of these berries which will go a deep red.

P1020165.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well only 3 customers today. Everyone is doing badly because State Park is torn up and they are replacing a Bridge towards town.

I finished mulching most the garden. It is supposed to rain some next week.

Watered bunch of stuff.

Picked Peppers.

Was chewing on some Oregano told my wife she should try some.

I like stuff doing things in my mouth.

I watched my wife.

Just seen today I forgot to post this.

big rockpile

20240720_154513.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't do much because I broke my wheelbarrow today.😫😫😫 It's my favorite little red one which I've had for 10 years. I tossed my Jackson shovel into it (if you're not familiar, the Jackson is a heavy duty one with a big heavy kick plate on top) and it put a huge crack in the red plastic barrow 😖😖😖 .

There is no replacement for that barrow. I could just kick myself for having done that. Well, off to buy a new wheelbarrow tomorrow!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't do much because I broke my wheelbarrow today.😫😫😫 It's my favorite little red one which I've had for 10 years. I tossed my Jackson shovel into it (if you're not familiar, the Jackson is a heavy duty one with a big heavy kick plate on top) and it put a huge crack in the red plastic barrow 😖😖😖 .

There is no replacement for that barrow. I could just kick myself for having done that. Well, off to buy a new wheelbarrow tomorrow!!

It's annoying when that happens. I've a couple of plastic buckets that I use when I'm pruning to collect what I've cut off. Yesterday I carelessly chucked my secateurs into one and made a hole in the bottom, so I'll have to buy another.

Ask a Question