What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm finally up to date with both gardens.

P1020101.JPG

P1020102.JPG

I sorted out the "bamboo forest." It has three retaining wires between three feet and six feet across its length to stop it flopping so it's tight to the fence. Several times during the summer, I have to untie one end in turn, so I can gather in new growth that's outside the wires. It's very bushy at the top. I'm not fond of the white trunking along the bottom of the fence panels, which carries the low voltage supply to the two lanterns and the spotlight behind the pagoda. It's necessary to stop it getting chewed by visiting animals. I'd preferred it to have been black, but it wasn't available.
The black wire is the low voltage supply to one of the trail cams.
There were a lot of dead bamboo leaves to clear today from the border,

P1020103.JPG

Not so many roses in bloom at the moment. i'm sick of pruning off leaves with blackspot. Despite several sprays of Sulphur Rose, many of them get it every year.

P1020104.JPG

I was concerned that this acer Palmatum Taylor might be dying a couple of months back, but it has recovered. I put it in the shed over winter. Two we'd had before died when left on the patio.

P1020105.JPG

Front garden got the treatment. Dead-headed the two rhodos, always a pain and pruned the azaleas, with garden shears.

P1020106.JPG

United Utilities are coming on Friday to replace this water meter which was fitted incorrectly five years ago, resulting in us get reduced water pressure. They are going to connect it to my new 25mm Alkathene pipe, which joins 18" of old 15mm copper pipe just to the right of the pillar, which is presently connected to the meter. The new pipe that cost me £1060, did not improve the pressure significantly.

If the water meter hadn't been fitted incorrectly, I'd have to have paid £1800, for the pipe to be connected with more 25mm pipe, as they have to dig up the footpath.
I'll be home while they do it, I'll supply the tea, whilst I check that the old 18" of copper pipe goes.

P1010927.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been so hot this week, heat indexes at 106, so all I've done is watering, very early morning weeding amongst the dew, and deadheading.
But, I bought three comfrey roots from a seller on Etsy and potted those up. I'm VERY excited to see those grow and hopefully Ill have some decent crowns by fall.

I can not wait to make my first batch of comfrey tea for my plants !! 😆

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got up late but it was a long day.

Thinned the Pole Beans and Cucumbers.

Tied up Peppers.

Son didn't know how to take care of some Tomato Plants I gave him so went looked them most the Suckers were too big and Blooming.

So we just tied them up and I put some Worm Castings and Epson Salt around them.

Pull his weeds and Staked his Peppers up.

Staked my Peppers up.

Picked Green Beans pulled Onions.

Moved couple Squash Sprouts and planted 3 Sweet Potato Slips.

Sprayed my Sons Rubarb and Peppers. Then I Sprayed my Peppers.

Used Neem, Castel Soap and Peppermint Oil.

We've had problem with Flea Beatles and Japanese Beatles.

big rockpile
20240627_132750.jpg
20240627_132528.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lawn has an excess of clover in it, I don't mind a bit, but it was taking over in places. I got out the mower and rake and raked and mowed, then raked again in the opposite direction and picked it up with the mower. The lawn is looking better, trouble is it was so dry I got a nose full of dust and dirt that has been giving me a bad time for a couple of days now.
Note to self.
Remember to wear a mask next time, Olly.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Today I just checked on how everything was doing & smelled the roses ☺️.

Attachments

• 0627241416b.jpg
    0627241416b.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wasn't in a hurry because it was to rain all day. Quit 9AM and got very Humid.

Mixed up one mix of soil.

Went through the Greenhouse watered what needed it.

Took 16 cuttings for rooting. Told them anything that is easy to propagate, put it in a 6 inch pot sell it $5.

Dead Headed some Geraniums. Seems like that is an ongoing Job.

Seen about acquiring some Hogs and Rabbits. Roof on the store comes first.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My lawn has an excess of clover in it, I don't mind a bit, but it was taking over in places. I got out the mower and rake and raked and mowed, then raked again in the opposite direction and picked it up with the mower. The lawn is looking better, trouble is it was so dry I got a nose full of dust and dirt that has been giving me a bad time for a couple of days now.
Note to self.
Remember to wear a mask next time, Olly.

Back in the day, you could buy Clovertox which was excellent for getting rid of clover, but it's long since been banned. The gross around a patch of clover will grow faster than the rest of a lawn as the clover gives out nitrogen.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went around fertilizing and weeding but ran out of my all purpose stuff so the rest of my daylillies gave me the finger as I walked by and gave them nothing.

All my roses got fertilized but the lot of them, rose gloves on or not, will stab me every time!! They're the ingrates of my garden, but they're going to get pampered whether they like it or not !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've done nothing in the garden today. I cleaned the car, now that my hose has got some decent pressure. Tomorrow I'll clean my golf clubs and trolley. Fortunately, I'm still up to date with, "garden maintenance," as it's all that is involved for most of the rest of the year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gross around a patch of clover will grow faster than the rest of a lawn as the clover gives out nitrogen.
I always wonder when people praise nitrogen fixing plants in this way. Surely the plant fixes it for its own use , not to just randomly put it in the soil? I can see that when the plant dies it will become available, but surely not while it lives and is using it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I always wonder when people praise nitrogen fixing plants in this way. Surely the plant fixes it for its own use , not to just randomly put it in the soil? I can see that when the plant dies it will become available, but surely not while it lives and is using it?

One of our greenkeepers told me this. Where there is a small patch of clover no more than a few inches across, usually on the fringe of a green there's always a narrow ring of slightly longer grass around it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Raining ever since I got up.
Yesterday I emptied the water butt that receives the water from the gutter, then took off the connector to the next butt, the overflow, and the downpipe from the gutter, got it off it's stand and emptied about two buckets full of sludge from the bottom, I had used all the water in all my butts, and was thinking about having to use company water in the greenhouse, So I am quite happy about the rain, 1,000 litres please, fill everything.
Started picking the first few tomatoes, chilis are coming, strawberries not doing badly, but badger got into one cage and trashed everything.

Ask a Question