What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you can no longer swing a Corn Knife it is time to quit.

Supposed to freeze tonight so I picked everything. I thought my son was just being lazy saying we needed a Post Puller. I got Cattle Panels down. Then went to pull the post out, we'll getting old and weak, dig down a ways with a Pick, still wouldn't come so dug down more. I dug that dang post out.

Made a discovery you put Mulch down to hold moisture in or draw it out of the ground but if there is no moisture there it is just laying there making nice place to walk bare foot. I know Grey Matter!

Decided to cut everything up with a Corn Knife and till it tomorrow and plant Cover Crop.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Made a discovery you put Mulch down to hold moisture in or draw it out of the ground but if there is no moisture there it is just laying there making nice place to walk bare foot. I know Grey Matter!
It always seems damp under mulch, maybe the water is drawn up from below and doesn't evaporate. I had always thought that as stuff decomposes it turns to carbon-dioxide and water and that was where it came from, but I guess there is always some damp in England.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turned out to be a nice sunny afternoon. Lifted a few potatoes - mostly fir apple. No damage as they seem to be resistant to slugs. A carrier bag full of mixed apples. A few plum tomatoes from a greenhouse. Some curly kale. Even a few (last of) onions. A good sized Crown prince squash.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cleaned bunch of plants out of the Greenhouse. They went to the trash because they are highly invasive.

Been waiting on my son to till the garden so I could plant Cover Crop. Never got Tilled and my wife says it's my fault. Ok!

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planted a bunch of broad bean seed in pots, mice tend to get them in the ground. Last year I grew borlotti beans, we used a few, but the rest went to seed and I thought 'I'll grow them as green manure'. I already have a couple of rows of broad beans, but it made me think they would make good green manure as they grow over winter when I am not using the ground, and there were loads left in the packet, so I thought I would grow a bunch for seed for next year.
Onion sets arrived yesterday and I planted some in pots to see if I can grow some really nice big ones, pottered a bit but that was about it as i went for my flu vaccine yesterday afternoon and then went shopping for birthday present, card and wrapping paper for the missus.

Big rockpile, I have a few jobs I haven't caught up on, good to know it is your fault :)

Ask a Question