Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC really regret not going to Harlow Carr whilst in Yorkshire..

That was our first time to Yorkshire and that never cropped up in my mind.

@tbendl You made me laugh when you say I am "sweet" .. Some people now like to describe me as someone who's in a perpetual huff, huff, huff ... ! Haha, sometimes human nature can be so nasty ..

@Logan Hope your friend finds some solace and comfort in your company. It has been a lovely day for me. I feel so empowered.

Tomorrow I'm going to take some lavender cuttings, some petunia cuttings, and begonia cuttings. Might split open the astilbes to have another plant. Also, some more hydrangea cuttings. I really love my hydrangeas..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@tbendl and @Logan Ah, floating restaurants are such interesting places to visit. I took my sister to one in London and she wasn't happy as she couldn't stand water movements. I wished I knew beforehand.

When I worked in the Strands, my colleagues and I went to have a drink in this boat moored near embankment and I must say dining on board a boat can be quite a pleasant experience.

Thank you, @Logan ..I wish I had watered my plants but I keep saying to myself, raining on Sunday.. Oh, dear! I hope it's true!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp it's still raining here,on and off all day. Now it's pouring.:( Trying to pick the white currants, picked 9lb so far. Hubby's been trying to cut the hedge, the council should do it, but if it gets too high, it's classed as a tree so wait 6 months for them to do it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Logan I wish I had some of your rain. I sound like a broken record, don't I? 9lb! Wow, amazing .. you're so good. Did you add woodash in March?

If the hedge is getting too high, be very careful. You don't want your hubby to have any accident.. Wait and complain. Don't do it yourself. Any way, be very careful.

You must have a very big freezer! LOL!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp We always go on about the weather, it's still raining very heavily, going to go on all night.You should get some on Sunday. Hubby should take the boys out for a wee, but their going to get soaked. The boys that is, I'm not worried about hubby:LOL::ROFLMAO:The currants are so easy to grow. It's the pruning. Have to prune out some of the old wood, every year.Yes i put woodash on and a mulch. We've got 2chest freezers upstairs, just for the fruit:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:Thanks for the advice about the hedge. Hubby always keeps it down to shoulder height.
You must be good at taking cuttings of lavender and other things. I'm hopeless.But good at seeds.:D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Logan I know the weather will be very heavy and wet your way, looking at the weather report. We might have some later tomorrow morning but I think the rain might have lost its energy by the time they are here. I saw Jim talking about Hinnomaki Red gooseberry and I have one or two of these, The fruits are delicious and I must harvest them before they are dead or eaten. I have copied your idea on a text document called currantLogan so that I can follow it through next year. I didn't have lunch and after having dinner, I was totally gone twice over and felt asleep during the last 25 minutes of the Beechgrove.. I wasn't exactly interested in show vegs..

I have never tried lavender plant cuttings and so I can't claim I know how to do them, but I like to mess about, as you know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
HI, just a quick look in as I leaving to go up and stay at poorly sis's house so that I will be able to visit her daily.
Dreading driving by Heathrow!!!!( well not me in person;))

We've had rain and local flooding for most of the day......so no grumbling here:):)

I took some Lavender cuttings last year as we need to replace our big old woody ones this year, pleased to say they have done really well(y)

I will look in when I can .......think that I will be on my own after Tuesday,,,,not good at being alone:( so will def. pop back then..............if I can master logging into her router( or whatever it is that I will need to log on to!!)

Take care everyone....speak soon :D

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, nice morning after last night.
@alp I have that variety of gooseberry, it's very good cropper, but the wasps get our's. I got stung last week, i didn't noticed it. I found a lot of lavender seedlings growing in between the payment, so dug them up and got about 6 plants that servived.
@Upsy Daisy hope everything goes well and take care.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It certainly rained last night, about an inch
SAM_0311.JPG
SAM_0313.JPG
and this morning I have had my FIRST single hibiscus

I have had a few hinnomaki gooseberries - very yummy!

Have a nice day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
For the ones who like the shade :).....Penultimate day of holiday, calling into an old favourite Ambleside (in the Lake District on our way back to the ferry crossing Stranrar in Scotland) and its absolutely lashing it down here plants dont need watering today thats for sure

f1.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Funny enough, I have a fern growing on the shady side of the house. Must google this place for holiday sightseeing destination.

Tatton is exciting.. I would like to grab hold of this man's remote .. so much technology that it's unreal.. Where's the simple pleasure of gardening and relaxation .. Sometimes you wonder what you want really in your garden.. lighting, waterfall, and how much they should be controlled by electronics or electics..

@Logan I want more as some of hellebores are showing yellow leaves..

Ask a Question