Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all .. Yes, @Logan cooler, but broke into a sweat watering the garden.

May a new day bring a calmer mood, @Upsy Daisy !

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp it was cool, but warming up now.
Making some jam tarts, with jam from 2014.
Made 2 more lots of jam yesterday,1 in the morning and the other about 5pm.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How long can the jam last, @Logan ? Do you put preservative in the jam?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp the jam will last for years, make sure the jam is right to the top and make sure the lid is on tight. Sometimes mould will be on the top, but i just scrape it off. The lid has come loose. The jam is ok to use. I've had some that is 5 years old. No i don't put preservatives in, the sugar is the preservative.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp the jam will last for years, make sure the jam is right to the top and make sure the lid is on tight. Sometimes mould will be on the top, but i just scrape it off. The lid has come loose. The jam is ok to use. I've had some that is 5 years old. No i don't put preservatives in, the sugar is the preservative.
If you've opened it and if don't use it often put it in the fridge. I don't, but it sometimes start to ferment. But i still use it.

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Finished making the jam tarts.
IMG_20170717_093105.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Forest fires continue to burn on the Alberta, British Columbia border, city remains blanketed in smoke. We have been advised to keep our windows closed and not to exercise outside, smoke is too thick and air quality is bad. Everything stinks of forest fire. I think I will still take a bike ride along the river, the smoke isn't bothering me any.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-verdant-creek-forest-fire-1.4208070

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whoa! That sounds serious! Thank heavens Canada is such a big country. But still properties and lives might be lost due to the fires. One thing I have learned about fire is that if there is a fire (serious forest fires or tower block fires), TURN ON THE TAP AND WET EVERYTHING! That's how a woman saved her family in the tower fire.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be a hot day. Off to graduation ceremony this afternoon. Did 1 and a half hour of watering and everything still looks dry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning all still on holiday here now in Yorkshire visiting family and friends...Been to the Quarry today to order up a proper Yorkshire Stone Front step for our house...1580x600x50mm...I'll just get you a price sir...£237 beer tokens WOW...we chose our own from massive boulder cuttings light tan with some flecking ...it should look nice if I can get it home in one piece...lol...have a great day..Also called into Tong Garden Centre outside Leeds where I used to like to frequent when we lived over here, what a transformation under new ownership..its massive and you could almost spend the day in there...I bought a life-like frog - pond ornament, some chilli seeds and chilli food and a nice looking Cacti....Have a great day folks I off to pick up my step later...turnaround time is really quick...photos later Bye for now...C

Ask a Question