Help with Juniper cuttings

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hello guys,

This is my first post, so hello. I'll make a post in the introductions as well. Beginner gardener here, so beginner-level advice is welcome.

I've taken a bunch of Juniper cuttings about 2 weeks ago. I stripped off a lot of the growth around the bottom so they kind of looked like tiny trees and stripped the bark from the base to leave an exposed "root". Some of them I put in a soil/vermiculite mixture and some of them just in water.

Anyway, I've noticed that they've all started growing little buds/pine-cone type things. And some of them have some very obvious fresh green growth at the tips.

I'm wondering, should I snip all that away so that the "energy" is concentrated in rooting, or just let it be? What's my move here?

I saw on a YouTube channel they take 6+ months to root so I'm kinda surprised to see growth after only a couple of weeks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Patience, and well cleaned and sharpened secateurs are the main ingredients for this job. If you can give your cutting a little humidity and some bottom heat, they will perform more quickly.
I always prefer to root cuttings in compost rather than water as the roots seem to establish more strongly. Don't cut them or interfere with them in any way until you can see a good bunch of roots appear through the bottom of the tray or pot they are in.
If you are using pots, you can increase humidity by putting plastic bags over them and securing the bags with an elastic band like this
1713974844692.png
and don't let the cuttings touch the side of the bag if you can help it.

Ask a Question