Japanese holly struggling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for help as to why my Japanese Holly isn't growing! It was planted a couple of years ago, and the first year did really well. There were times that year the leaf's would yellow a little but that was mostly as it was a good summer and I would occasionally be lazy with watering. I decided to do a second loop on the irrigation system for them the year after and I suspect I over-watered them, as when they turned yellow I tried to water them more which really didn't help the situation. After reading up a bit online I determined the issue was likely drainage and overwatering so I haven't watered them since, but spring is now here and they're making no sign of improvement :(

I'm not really sure what I can do to try and bring them back? I've tried turning over the soil around the plants, as well as feeding once a week with a general plant feed but I've not seen any improvement.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks

IMG_3754.jpg
IMG_3755.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you need to leave them to get over the flood. I would pull the mulch away from the stems for now, as it hasn't really stopped raining for a long time in our corner of the world has it, and that will just help the moisture to remain in the roots. When they've had a breather for a week or two, maybe you could source a bag of well composted farm manure or horse manure to give them a nice organic feed, and just lay it on the surface to let the worms take it down. They don't really look that bad at the moment.
We also have a new hedge, which is made up of small plants, and the cold weather and wet hasn't done them or anything else for that matter a lot of good. Have faith though, summer is on it's way, and things will improve.
Welcome to the forums (y)

Ask a Question