Portuguese laurel tree

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dear gardeners,

I have a question about our Portuguese laurel tree in the garden. This was pruned two weeks ago. It was a large tree and it was shortened about 2.5 meters. Now we see that the leaves are starting to show strange spots. see picture. Does anyone recognize this?

Attachments

• 20240501_125902.jpg
    20240501_125902.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240501_130005.jpg
    20240501_130005.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240502_143243.jpg
    20240502_143243.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240502_143305.jpg
    20240502_143305.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240503_130757.jpg
    20240503_130757.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This could be frost damage. What has your weather been like? I would consider that here in the SE UK it has been a bit too cold. Frost or cold wind may have damaged your Laurel, and maybe it was really a bit too soon to prune it. I would wait and hope that summer actually does happen, and maybe see if you can get some nice organic manure to give your plant a treat. That and some sunshine should help it feel better.
Welcome to the forum (y)

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
This could be frost damage. What has your weather been like? I would consider that here in the SE UK it has been a bit too cold. Frost or cold wind may have damaged your Laurel, and maybe it was really a bit too soon to prune it. I would wait and hope that summer actually does happen, and maybe see if you can get some nice organic manure to give your plant a treat. That and some sunshine should help it feel better.
Welcome to the forum (y)
Oh, thank you very much Tetters! That is very kind of you and also reassuring. It is maybe worthwhile mentioning that the tree grows in a moddy spot. Lots of Rain water gathers there.

I was worried it could be a fungus. And yes, the day after the pruning it got really cold here at night.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Too much of anything is never good, including water. It may be a good idea to spike the ground around that area, and when the puddles clear up a bit, maybe dig in some grit to increase drainage in future. It would be a good idea to watch out for fungus too - under those conditions. Powdery mildew and shot hole fungus would be the main ones to watch out for I think. Always treat it early if you see it.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Thank you very much for your answer! That is certainly true, Tetters! I was also planning on adding more drainage in those areas, but I'm a little hesitant about spiking the ground because there are a lot of superficial roots and I don't want to disturb the tree any more. What I did buy is a fertilizer with a high potassium content and a spray of sulfur to combat any mold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much for your answer! That is certainly true, Tetters! I was also planning on adding more drainage in those areas, but I'm a little hesitant about spiking the ground because there are a lot of superficial roots and I don't want to disturb the tree any more. What I did buy is a fertilizer with a high potassium content and a spray of sulfur to combat any mold.
But it will not help rotting roots. Lets hope the water drains away, what we all need is a little more sunshine.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
That is certainly true, Tetters! Thank you so much for your kind help. I have a large garden, but I am a hobbyist rather than an experienced gardener, but I just love it so much! You will certainly hear from me again for some advice here!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just as an observation.... It was sunny today, so I got out into the garden for a while to tend my perennial beds. I have some very tough Persicaria red dragon plants just starting in growth, and to my surprise they are showing the same symptoms as your shrubs. I'm pretty sure there has been no actual frost, but a cold easterly wind, and the air temperature has been extremely low for the start of the normal growing period. Zigs said the same thing has happened to his leeks. Another thing, the rhubarb came up and bolted immediately, and most of the trees have had extraordinarily small leaves. I'm quite sure nature will correct it all. God is good :)

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well, look at that, Tetters! That's quite an observation. I live in the south of the Netherlands, but we also experience lower temperatures, heavy rain fall and strong wind here. Next week, the temperatures will rise slightly and we hope to see a little more sunshine. In any case, I will definately keep you informed of how the Portuguese Laurel recovers. Nature is a magical thing.:)

Ask a Question