Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
going B&Q may find some pressi for ME ;)

Why, is it your birthday?

What is this?
upload_2018-2-12_17-25-54.png

Your heleniums are beautiful. Thank you for the offer of phlox, so kind of you. Wait till I move and I might come begging. I have just potted up my 3 phloxes bought from Wilko.

I've got a big pot of piquesqueak Helenium reduced to £1.99. Hopefully, it looks goo.

Been working solid for 2 and a half hours at the back. Totally exhausted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a Veronicastrum fascination, they are brilliant for vertical lines or in my case I like spike flowers ( delphiniums - lupins - kniphofia etc ) I have two others as well - Diane ( white ) and pink glow . Slug proof another added bonus. I've moved fascination since this picture.

No not my Bday not for another month, just thought I deserved a gift from me to me :D . I didn't buy anything its very expensive in my opinion, I haven't been for ages and probably won't be going again anytime soon. I wanted some paint / stain for the garden bench, sharp sand and top soil to top dressing the lawn, I can find all these cheaper else where and closer to home. Had a look round the plants but nothing I fancied, had some hellibore cheap £4 for 3litre but no double variety's.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Some pictures from last year from early spring to late September. I'll try not put to many on don't want to hog the page :D

Very early spring around mid March

View attachment 32334
Had a hard frost a week before this pic, flattened the dicentra infront of camassia and lots of other plants, lost all my flowers on the wisteria as well :cry:
View attachment 32335
one of the spring barrels
View attachment 32336

View attachment 32337

View attachment 32338

Late Spring / early summer

View attachment 32340

Delphiniums have finished, Heleniums about to start
View attachment 32341

View attachment 32342

Helenium M beauty and Agastache black adder
View attachment 32343

Summer barrel - ensete with dahlia B of L and nasturtiums before the cabbage white got them.
View attachment 32344

pic of front garden mid / late summer
View attachment 32345

late summer
View attachment 32346

one of the pots round the front - Dahlia david howard and a canna australia which you cant see , lovely chocolate foliage.
View attachment 32347

butterfly's went mad for the eupatorium.
View attachment 32348

And today rather bland pic, just a dusting of snow. could do with more evergreens but that means removing something else.
View attachment 32349

Lovely garden Perki. Thanks for sharing

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It is a Veronicastrum fascination, they are brilliant for vertical lines or in my case I like spike flowers ( delphiniums - lupins - kniphofia etc ) I have two others as well - Diane ( white ) and pink glow . Slug proof another added bonus. I've moved fascination since this picture.

No not my Bday not for another month, just thought I deserved a gift from me to me :D . I didn't buy anything its very expensive in my opinion, I haven't been for ages and probably won't be going again anytime soon. I wanted some paint / stain for the garden bench, sharp sand and top soil to top dressing the lawn, I can find all these cheaper else where and closer to home. Had a look round the plants but nothing I fancied, had some hellibore cheap £4 for 3litre but no double variety's.

Spill the beans! Tell us when your birthday is. I was so tired from all that work that I nearly fell asleep and the air doesn't help. I am scared of Veronica. The elderly neighbour's wife gave me some and there was sooo much composting to do. Every year, I had to cut it back. As I have never paid for green recycling, I was fed up with composting that and those of oriental poppies. They are mad here. Full of vim and vigor and tons of stalks for composting. Must say yours are very interesting.

Perki, since you're on a bike, why don't you hunt out nurseries around your areas. Some stock quite a few interesting plants. Not cheap, but they are really different. Or try hayloft as the first order receives a certain discount. I think Long Acre did a double for £1.99 when gardening seasons seriously get underway. Mark56 might tell you. I so wanted to buy them, but by that time, I have already bought quite a few plants somewhere else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers Perki, that's a great help for reference - none of the images on google do them any justice, all photoshopped beyond belief which is a shame for comparisons. I know I badger on about Long acres but it's the cheapest prices I've found locally, Alp is correct. They are selling Waltraut, so I'll have a look :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, Logan & Upsy - did you notice that they have stopped the gardening show repeats Sunday mornings, as a result of the winter olympics? Also halted Big Dreams, Small Spaces repeats that were airing nightly in the week. Apparently the viewing figures for both were very high, yet the BBC does little to cater to gardeners. I think ITV3 are showing re-runs of Love Your Garden with Alan Titchmarsh.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some plants off longacre early last year, I got the geum T Tangerine ( pic with allium ) off LAcre and got another order late last year as well, I forgot the name when I was looking for more plants and couldn't for the life me remember who recommended them, postage is cheap as well :) I had look a few weeks back but nothing I fancy at the moment.

I have a very good plant nursery not so far away 1000's of herbaceous perennials its where most of my plants have come from, it was in the Gardening new magazine last year / year before. Compost cheap as well 4 bags 50litre £10, that a good enough reason just to venture there let alone the plants. I am there that often most off them say hello and have a natter.

I am going to another large garden centre next week with my mum looking at summer bulbs - seedling and for a day out. Just holding back for this week Lidl are getting there dahlia tuber and other summer bulb in this week on Sunday but they may be in on thursday to sunday.

I noticed a lot of conflicting pictures and advice while looks for plants, sizes what plants grow to are some of the hardest to predict. easy to ask sombody who already grown the plant for opinion / advice.
I bought waltraut and sahin early from peter nyssen, fair price for 3 9cm pots, they have seven variety's of helenium for sale.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, Logan & Upsy - did you notice that they have stopped the gardening show repeats Sunday mornings, as a result of the winter olympics? Also halted Big Dreams, Small Spaces repeats that were airing nightly in the week. Apparently the viewing figures for both were very high, yet the BBC does little to cater to gardeners. I think ITV3 are showing re-runs of Love Your Garden with Alan Titchmarsh.

That explains it. I turned off the automatic download button and saw a meconopsis as the programme advert. I downloaded it and watched a bit, only to realise it was the same one I watched last week. I also downloaded BDSS, only to find it was last year's. I might watch Love your garden, especially today when I can't go out because of rain.

Thank you for the intelligence.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just holding back for this week Lidl are getting there dahlia tuber and other summer bulb in this week on Sunday but they may be in on thursday to sunday.

Whoa! Thank you for the heads up! Need to go to Lidl to get my antipasto any way. We have 2 new Lidls opening nearby. Hurrah for competition. You're very lucky to get that much compost at that price in a gc nearby. Went to Wyevale and found it was a waste of time.

I bought waltraut and sahin early from peter nyssen, fair price for 3 9cm pots, they have seven variety's of helenium for sale.

Er ... I haven't seen this. I can't buy any more. My credit card bill is going to be shocking. I bought quite a few of my dahlias form Peter Nyssen last year and this year, I bought a Blue Bayou from Taylors' Bulb at Summerhill gc. Very pleased. Hopefully, I can get to see one flower!

Long Acre was Mark56 recommendation. Prices are very good.

Today, I think it's going to rain and I must start doing some seed sowing. That's the intention any way!:LOL:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The BBC has to put on the Winter Olympics early in the morning, because it's live. They show highlights in the evening for the people who have been to work. It's not just Gardening programmes, like A Place To Call Home, they've put homes under the hammer on BBC2. Next week EastEnders has been moved around for Rugby.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The BBC has to put on the Winter Olympics early in the morning, because it's live. They show highlights in the evening for the people who have been to work. It's not just Gardening programmes, like A Place To Call Home, they've put homes under the hammer on BBC2. Next week EastEnders has been moved around for Rugby.

Yes, a bit of nuisance .. Why don't they use BBC3 or BBC4?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
BBC 1 and 2 are the best ones to use. 4 is used for other things and 3 is online only.

They never used to repeat GW it was only on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question