Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm very impressed by your borders Perki, I could learn a thing or two there! My choice in plants too, very cottage garden-esque. Any more pictures? Do you have borders out the front too?

Alp, you're giving me serious Hellebore envy, what a collection you have. Keep going and we may have a contender for the National lot! ;) I must invest in some more.. Hellebore Niger is a real gem to me, simple but effective. Pulmonaria and Daphne popping out here now. Like Snowdrops, I decided to buy some Aconites in the green.. a real landing pad for the emerging bumble queens. Invested in one of these 'homes' to try to persuade them to nest here. View attachment 32359

View attachment 32360

The aconites are gorgeous. So much fun and joy to see such vibrant and pure colour and lovely details. Have you had any visitors to your hive yet? I must keep an eye out for that. If you want to buy snowdrop, don't get any nivali as it's just too common, Sometimes, they sell elwesii cheaply. Keep an eye out. But if you're broke buying the stuff, don't blame me. I have Diggory, Wendy's Gold (£12 is a good price), my Lady Elphinstone (yellow double £5 is a good price) has disappeared. Heffalump (don't know where?) Wasp. They are just NOT cheap. But if you can naturalise them, they would be heirlooms. Always buy them with FLOWERS on, as Monty said. You know the labelling business!:eek::cry:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Is this phlox? Please don't laugh! I am a bit out of my depth. What a tall beauty, so fluffy! I have a pack of three. I hope they are phlox!
upload_2018-2-12_7-2-37.png

Such a lovely display, @Perki !

I have to compost quite a bit of hellebores. Bought some Breeders' Choice from TM. What am I like? I should have known better since they have sent me another lot of "black double" hellebores! Er Hum! What a waste of time. I don't even have a slate colour one. And Breeders' choice is breeders' REJECTS! I feel sad that I have to get rid of them just because they are wishy washy ..I am trying to cross pollinate them, but it's so cold that it's not an ideal time to do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone, what a fabulous day we are in for!!! YAY!!!

All indoor jobs done and dusted ( literally :D) so I can spend the whole day outside :):)(y)

Only downside is that I will probably discover more mole destruction:(.

@Perki ,your garden looks fab!

Have a Mega Marvellous Monday!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely pics @Perki

@alp you need a sunny day to pollinate your hellebores.

Hubbys gone out working for the morning, did so vaccuming. It's frosty today,so going to do some dress making.

Tomorrow is pancake day.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, good. I bought a pack of 3 phlox for £2.50. Hope they create drama like those.

Yes, it's terrible even here. All the hailstones can be seen on the grass and everywhere. I couldn't even fork into the soil. It's that frozen. So very cold. Was taking tip from @Upsy Daisy - hanging the clothes out. In the end, the lean-to was so cold that had the tumble dryer on. You know, every morning I got up for the past few days, I said to myself, it won't be that cold today. Er, no! Today literally broke the record, too!

Yes, the hailstones look like tapioca.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if they ate my meconopsis. I have just dug up my plants. What a trauma and warm blood is coursing through my hands and fingers. I had to break the iced top of water to wash off all the mud.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have two Borders in the front but both are very small 3x2M approx, cause they are small it doesn't take me long to keep digging thing up / move them around so ever changing at the moment until I am happy. I have most of my pots round the front.
View attachment 32365

One is a Hot border dark foliage / red / orange / yellow and purple and some Allium globemaster but I don't have many pictures. One of the problems I have had is that most of the colour is in summer for hot colours, so planted lots of tulips and 5 crown imperial fritillary this autunm. I have added a phomrium Black velvet in summer, had a rudbeckia herbstone for the back of the border but the slugs destroyed it so nursing back to health for this year. I have dug out all the orange crocosmia even though I do like them but they were taking over, think of something else now.

The three GM I planted in 2016 lovely them 18cm across, I planted a couple more last year i was so pleased with them.
View attachment 32361

Same time as the alliums flowering, think of growing a clematis red/purple through the buddleia this year
View attachment 32362

View attachment 32363

View attachment 32364

I dont have a full picture of the other border from this year , make sure I take more pic this year. Pastel colours mainly for this border. I done more changes to this border this autumn than any other, delphinium / alluims are still there:). A storm were due that why it got loads of stakes etc. I dug up a large hydrangea you just can't see so got a gap to fill there, replaced a rose with a new one david austin golden celebration got some nepeta six hills giant to go with them. I got other plants for late summer - phlox bright eyes - veronicastrum pink glow - thalictrum- sedums - spirea, I had some Liatrus but I think the delphinium has smothered them
View attachment 32367

I do have another border in the back, just cant see cause of the angle of the picture. I been playing in this border a lot this autunm so probably look different again this year.

View attachment 32368

I do have a yellow lupin to go with these polemiums but slugs attacked again.
View attachment 32369

They should be purple monarda scorpion planted around the back of the helniums and to the side of phlox but they done a disappearing act. I had to move the phlox cause it taking to much light from the rose behind it.
View attachment 32370

I want them like this, but this year. This was took in 2016. see my monarda's :cry:
View attachment 32371

I've been planning on getting some Monarda too but not sure they'll tolerate my soil. I've had to resort to growing Lupins in massive deep pots because of the slugs. Which variety is the orange helenium next to the Phlox? I'd thinking of combining them with my Agastache Black Adder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this phlox? Please don't laugh! I am a bit out of my depth. What a tall beauty, so fluffy! I have a pack of three. I hope they are phlox!
View attachment 32375

Such a lovely display, @Perki !

I have to compost quite a bit of hellebores. Bought some Breeders' Choice from TM. What am I like? I should have known better since they have sent me another lot of "black double" hellebores! Er Hum! What a waste of time. I don't even have a slate colour one. And Breeders' choice is breeders' REJECTS! I feel sad that I have to get rid of them just because they are wishy washy ..I am trying to cross pollinate them, but it's so cold that it's not an ideal time to do it.

Yes a Phlox White Admiral, I give it a chelsea chop last year to make it smaller near the front of the border. that's why it curved in the pictures from 2017. It has a very strong scent as well, if you want a piece your more than welcome, I dug them up last autumn and split them, I been giving out some of the divisions already. I got a few other phlox variety's as well, all trouble free and reliable, I bought bright eyes in one of them plastic bags bare root, it took it three years to get to a small clump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been planning on getting some Monarda too but not sure they'll tolerate my soil. I've had to resort to growing Lupins in massive deep pots because of the slugs. Which variety is the orange helenium next to the Phlox? I'd thinking of combining them with my Agastache Black Adder

The helenium next to the phlox is waltraut, I have a helenium M beauty with black adder. It probably the best helenium out of 4 I have. I got sahin early and indian summer as well.

Waltraut
IMG00018 (2).JPG

Moerheim beauty
IMG00012 (5).JPG

Sahin Early , got some in the front garden aswell, might change them for another helenium but fancy some ratibida pinnata as well.
IMG00014 (5).JPG

Indian summer , flower very late flowering,tall and leggy palnt about 4 ft, pic from 2016.
IMG00005 (2).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It snowed quite a bit last night, approc 4 -5 inch but its melting very fast. went out earlier with a newish camera and took some pics. I put some on later, gotta dash going B&Q may find some pressi for ME ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question