Yellowing Leaves On Shrub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an evergreen shrub. Unknown name. It has white flowers around June/July time. It has had yellowing leaves every year I can remember. It has never failed to flower and has grown well.

I have read that yellowing leaves are part of ever green plants. Also iron deficiency could be the problem.

Does anyone know if the yellowing is normal or what the problem could be?

I also want to hard prune it this year after flowering. To give the bush a better shape. Any advice on pruning it?

A long shot, but, does anyone know it's name?

WP_20240424_001.jpg

WP_20240424_005.jpg

Many thanks for any advice given.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Peter :) I'm not 100% sure about the identity of this, but think it's either a Camellia, Gardenia,or Magnolia - well, that family, and all acid lovers.
Can you tell us what area you are in, and whether your soil is acid or alkaline, because that could answer all the questions.
Maybe you could find that out either by getting an inexpensive testing kit, or by chatting to the neighbours.
So often this is the result of trying to grow these plants in chalky soil. Ours is alkaline, and we don't even try them unless they are in pots with ericaceous compost.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in Birmingham. I dont know the acid content, but do have a cheap tester that I purchased for the lawn I could try, I dont think its a very good tester, it's the paper type ones.

There is a rhododendron next to it, that is looking about to die after many years of being healthy. There have been a few climbers on the fence behind it, that have always died. A Clematis is growing, but has always struggled and is very stunted in growth compaired to all the others I have in different areas of the garden. I have long suspected there is a problem in that area of the garden. All other areas are fine, with very healthy plants.

The neighbours grow grapes on the other side of the fence each year, which always look very healthy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well that is in the neutral bracket, so not a cause. If all the plants in that spot are suffering, there has to be a problem in the soil. Have you got another suitable area where you could gradually transplant these plants while you investigate further? Old Percy Thrower always used to say '' the answer lies in the soil ''
There was a case recently of someone who was (without realising it) trying to grow stuff in a bit of a garden which was very shallow soil over an old concrete pathway. The only way to find out I suppose is to dig out and have a look.
As for pruning, you clearly have plenty of experience, and know to do it after flowering, This could be a good opportunity to do a hard prune on anything you take out, and even maybe stick the plants in big pots while the investigation goes on. It seems like the only option to me. I am a big fan of pruning - too many gardeners are scared to cut stuff back. It's the only way to keep shrubs in good nick !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All plants to the right are doing great. It's just this, behind and to the left.

Researching Magnolias which seem simalar but maybe not the same say to hard prune over a number of years as not to stress the plant. Transplanting now is not possible, as it's a small tree trunk at the soil level.

The yellowing leaves are starting to look unsightly given its size in ratio to the garden. If it wasn't for the flowering, which is a behive of activelty for about 2 weeks and a sight to see, I would remove it totally.

It's a shame I didn't keep the ID label, as that would surely help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have an ID,

'Escallonia rubra'

Not sure if links are allowed, but this site ID's plant from photo's for you,

There is a problem with my plant, as those shown on that site do not have yellowing leaves at all like mine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The yellowing. appears to be, 'Escallonia Black Spot' for anyone else looking in future.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1713993990769.png
Are the flowers like this?
1713994147449.png
and the leaves serrated like this?
If so, it will be Escallonia Iveyi. E. Rubra has red flowers.
I believe it is only a disease of the Escallonias quite recently. When I was propagating them at the nursery, they never seemed to ever have any disease. I suppose fungus is more rife with the change in weather just lately.

Good bit of detective work if you are correct (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just as an extra thought... I wonder why the other plants are suffering in that area?
It's been an interesting chat 😊

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeh, pretty chuffed I found the information. That site I linked above is amazing, it scans your photo and ID's it for you. I'm tech savy, but amazed by it, the wonders of 'AI', I guess.

It's definetly an Escallonia, as the leaves are an exact match. I can't enlarge your photo, but most likely is 'Iveyi', the leaves arent serated on mine though. Leaf spot seems to be a mayor problem with these plants now. OK just checked and you are correct, it's an exact match,

Not sure why the area is prone to problems. Maybe a coincidence, there are very healthy plants to the right of it.

No chemical on the market to treat it. Only chance is a hard prune, and you must remove all infected leaves, both on the ground and plant.

At least I now know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome peterpies. :)

If you crush a leaf it will have a kind of citrus smell to it and the sap will be sticky. Escallonia prefers a dryish soil and atmosphere so the leaves tend to turn yellow when there's too much rain. Britain has had more than it's fair share over the last year.

You can hard prune it but it won't make a lot of difference. Dryer weather would help but unfortunately there's not a lot we can do about that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's had the problem for years. Seems to be Endemic of these shrubs now.

I was going to hard prune and then remove all leaves by hand that have yellowed and maybe spray what's remaining with Ultra Clear Plus then see what grows back. If they return yellow I will remove the shrub and replace with something else.

Are you saying it's a waste of time and effort?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several escallonias in my gardens and I haven't noticed any of them yellowing. Again, I might say - why are the other plants in that particular area suffering?
I think the problem HAS to be in the ground there as so many different plants are failing.
Treating the cause is better than just treating the symptoms.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe I got unlucky one year with lots of rain and the fungi took hold. From memory it started after about 2/3 years of growing.

They don't know what causes the fungi, though.

I'm willing to try and save the plant, because the bees love it when it flowers.

I'm newish to gardening and get many plants failing. The Rhododendron to the left has been going for years, but I have never checked the soil and they like a low PH level and muclhing with pine needles, etc. Which I have never done.

Ask a Question