Requesting advice on grafting peach scions

Reaction score
Country
United States
In late 2022, after a very mild autumn, a sudden hard freeze (lows of around 10 F) killed the above ground part of a peach tree I bought that year at a "big box" store. Apparently, it didn't have the opportunity to go dormant before the extreme cold hit. I noticed the damage in the spring of 2023 when it failed to leaf out. I cut it off at the base, and to my surprise, it sprouted shoots a few weeks later. I was informed by folks on this board that the sprouts were from the root stock and the tree would need peach-producing scions grafts. I removed all but the largest sprout, and, over the course of the summer, that sprout grew into a rather large "sapling" about 6 feet tall.

I ordered peach scions this spring and they arrived in good, viable condition. I watched YouTube videos on grafting, and, after cutting the rootstock tree to about 3 feet tall, attempted to graft two scions about 5 weeks ago. I placed the remaining scions in a vase of water and put them in a little used basement refrigerator. Following the instructions from YouTube, I put tape around the spot where the scions were grafted and the top of the stump of the rootstock tree. I also placed a large water-proof mailer over the scions to further protect them from water. I cut open the bag this week and saw that the scions had died.

This week I checked on the scions in the refrigerator, and, I was shocked to see that, not only were they still alive, some had actually started to bloom! I have two questions:

1. Should I reattempt to graft the remaining scions now? Or wait until the fall?
2. If I graft now, should I use the scions that are producing blossoms or ones that have just buds?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Ask a Question