Identify?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help me identify what this is that’s started growing - it seems to be spreading, looks somewhat like birch, but would it spread like this?
Thank you!
Aidan. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
7515771E-3382-462D-B8DF-F67B9047791E.jpeg
0E53BC6E-B23E-44FC-9442-F0824F19ADEF.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Living in the Highlands we think it's probably Downy Birch or Hazel. Where would the seeds have blown in from? The clue may be there :unsure:
Nice to see you on the forums. Welcome.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Living in the Highlands we think it's probably Downy Birch or Hazel. Where would the seeds have blown in from? The clue may be there :unsure:
Nice to see you on the forums. Welcome.
Thank you for your quick reply and your welcome!

I’m surrounded by Croft land with little to no trees… I do have a wooded area to the back of the house which may well have either of those two trees in it.

You’ll have to forgive me for being naive but I sid not realise that trees could spread by seed!

I’m rather pleased as if it continues it will create a nice barrier to my land and the Croft… it’s clearly very hardy as it is in the most exposed area imaginable!

Thank you again for your help. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are very welcome. Nature is a wonderful thing, and left to its own devices will produce forests all over the place. Usually it's people who are destructive.
I took a catkin from a silver birch tree and sowed the seeds from it. All by itself that one catkin produced 106 little trees. Birch trees are fast growers too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are very welcome. Nature is a wonderful thing, and left to its own devices will produce forests all over the place. Usually it's people who are destructive.
I took a catkin from a silver birch tree and sowed the seeds from it. All by itself that one catkin produced 106 little trees. Birch trees are fast growers too.
I’m really pleased to see it coming on as it is… aesthetically but also because I love to see things happening naturally as they should. I try to leave as much of the garden alone as I possibly can so it’s always nice when nature finally does it’s thing!

Ask a Question