What are you picking from your gardens?

Reaction score
So far, I have picked one volunteer radish, two strawberries, three peony flowers, a meals worth of asparagus, and LOADS of kale! The weather so far this year has been unusually cold, and so nothing is doing very well excepting the greens and the onions. The onions COULD have been eaten, but I would prefer them to get a little more size on them! The largest onion is perhaps two inches across, and I prefer them just a bit larger than that!
How are your gardens all doing? Are you folks starting to pick your flowers and produce?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Grim so far, Rhubarb, Sorrel, Spring onions, that's about it, nothing else is getting away.

Reaction score
Rhubarb, sorrel, and spring onions: aren't these all things that do well in cool weather? Is the UK ALSO unusually short on sunlight? It is usually rather hot this time of year, but everybody is wearing sweaters. And, it keeps raining here in the middle of the USA.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, jet stream has messed it up for us big time. Had a couple of warm days but its not looking good for the rest of the year.

Reaction score
I just picked a nice bunch of spinach and some herbs.. The tomatoes have all been eaten.. I am waiting for some of my young plants flower and fruit. I have had bunches of daises and roses until now.. :) That is a great deal from my little garden. I am so pleased.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I picked a few flowers, mostly daisies, violets, lilies of the valley and a few branches of lilac.
The weather here is nasty most of the time so instead of spending time in my garden, I focus on miniature roses that I grow indoors.

Reaction score
Currently I am picking Rhubarb and a few flowers. I love growing Rhubarb because it is generally easy to maintain and tastes great. I will soon be picking a few herbs too.

dim

Reaction score
mainly herbs (thyme, oregano, parsley, spinach, rocket, corriander)

lettuce will be ready in a few days, cherry toms are starting to flower .... beetroot leaves are being eaten by beetles at night ...

basil is struggling .... everything else is still small but they were only planted recently

Reaction score
We had scattered showers today, and I simply did not feel like getting wet or muddy so I stayed in. In other words, I did not harvest a thing. Having to drive my son to the local college and being rained on doing it did not improve my mood any: most young men his age already have their licenses but he does not! I haven't pushed him to get his, as he is hyperactive and easily distracted, and he honestly might not be ready to get behind the wheel of a car (also known as a 1000 pound guided missile) and guide it into traffic! It does make more work for me, though.

Tomorrow I have resolved to pick enough kale for a very large salad, with canned green beans and beets and other good things. It has been a long winter, and a garden SHOULD be celebrated with elaborate salads! Perhaps I should scatter some onion flowers across the top as an edible garnish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I am in Alabama, and we have had a mix of weather. It jumps from hot, steamy days, back to cold and rainy days, and chilly nights.
By this time last year, we were huffing and puffing with the heat every day, and the wild blackberries pretty much dried up by the time they were ripe. This year, we have had rain and more rain. Just today, we had another thunder storm that lasted most of the day, and the side yard was flooded again. Now, I am in my chair with the lap robe on.
We have about the same things growing, lettuce, chard, onions, and spring greens.
Here is how our yard looks after we get one of those heavy rains.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Happyflowerlady, last year it was so hot that the only things that did well for us were okra and watermelon. This year is so cold and so wet that both plants are failing: I shall have to re-plant!

Weather is very strange all over the world right now. I feel for the poor farmers! I can survive without flowers and I can buy vegetables in the store, but the farmers' livelihood is based on this weather!

Reaction score
Just picked some blueberries! I have one bush in particular that's giving me a bumper crop already, with more on the way.

Reaction score
I'm a renter so I don't own the mango tree behind my apartment, but I'm allowed to pick the mangoes because my landlord hates mangoes and the tree was planted by his mother.
Anyway, it's mango season in Florida so I've been picking a lot of mangoes.

Ask a Question