My Twilight Zone Garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know? Depends. Right now I use chatgpt3.5 and it's free but does everything I need it to do and more. ChatGpt4 is $20 a month if you use it on OpenAI but it's free if you use it on Microsoft Bing, just doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the paid version does. So it will probably be the same for chatgpt5. Unless you want it to build a website or something you wouldn't need all the bells and whistles just for gardening stuff. For simple things like that I imagine there will be a free version but that's not a fact just my guess. I think you can use pictures on chatgpt4 right now and it might become free once 5 rolls out, just like 3 is free now.
I know zero about AI. I heard someone talking about it one time a while back and came away with a vague notion of what it is. I don't expect you to give me a detailed explanation, but is there a good article I might read to learn more? And what's the "chatgpt" stuff? An app? Based on your exchange with Meadowlark, I'm assuming it's an app with several updates, more to come, and some of which cost? Truly, all I know is that it's not human and it's very smart. @@ Time I learned more.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know zero about AI. I heard someone talking about it one time a while back and came away with a vague notion of what it is. I don't expect you to give me a detailed explanation, but is there a good article I might read to learn more? And what's the "chatgpt" stuff? An app? Based on your exchange with Meadowlark, I'm assuming it's an app with several updates, more to come, and some of which cost? Truly, all I know is that it's not human and it's very smart. @@ Time I learned more.
There is lots to read about it but I have a AI thread I started in general chat. I will find a good video of OpenAI's CEO Sam Altman talking about it in simple terms for you to watch there if you want.

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 99538
Would someone please, please tell me what on earth is on this squash? And anything about it that might be helpful?
Like what might've caused it, what to do about it (I cut it off and let it drop in a sandwich bag and put in my trash), but
it's downright scary looking and I thought about shooting it!
It's some kind of mold and it most likely hopped out of that mulch. Squash really LOVE to sprawl across grass and grow that way. The squash won't fully develop with that mold there so you did the right thing throwing it away.
If you can't grow them on grass, the best mulch would be straw, which stays dryer, and not wood chips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is definitely Choanephora. I have it in my garden and have dealt with it for years. See my previous post for a link to the Lousianna State University pdf that explains details.

Avoid the ai as it grows no garden.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As Elon Musk said, with AI the days of needing college is not needed anymore.

What would take years of study can be answered in a second. Poetry, art, song writing, computer coding and so much more including gardening can be done in seconds with zero experience.
I don't think it helps you write poetry. The arts are about exploring the options. The absurdity of AI is that it's "artificial imitation". Can you check if I got that quotation right, it's from a bloke called Penrose?? - or something like that??

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Pepper is concerned about staying modern and talking to the young on this forum. So am I. But did you socialize with people three times your age when you were young? My daughter was interested in gardening from the start. She is a good gardener - but she's bringing up a daughter of her own now and doesn't garden with me. I'm going back over the past topics and that is a good collection of topics that are still being discussed now. It's the sense of humor that makes the reading interesting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
the best mulch would be straw, which stays dryer, and not wood chips.
I need a garden fairy on my shoulder in all daylight hours. When I bought the bagged medium for my containers, I read somewhere that I should sift the compost. I have a tendency to go with any wind that blows re garden advice (I'm finally getting over that) so I actually sifted bag after bag of compost, and was shocked at what sifted out. It felt wasteful to throw it away, so I used it as mulch. Typically, I use pine needles which I have in abundance.

Some sing the praises of wood chips as mulch, some leaves, some this, some that, and now..."straw stays drier than wood chips". See why I need a garden fairy?! I could just turn to my little overworked garden fairy and ask..."So who's right?" Another thing I'd ask her is if I should throw away the contents of the container where the choanephora showed up.

In lieu of a GF, I have access to the thoughts, experience, beliefs I find on this garden forum and your input will stay in my head for
me to consider going forward. Which is exactly why I'm here! So thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is definitely Choanephora. I have it in my garden and have dealt with it for years. See my previous post for a link to the Lousianna State University pdf that explains details.

That's the link I looked into. It was plain as day! It has a permanent spot among my gardening notes. One of the few moments in my
gardening life where clarity reigned. Seriously. :) If in my excitement I forgot to thank you, THANK YOU! And, yes, I'm yelling.

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I had already said it was choanephora back on the first page. While all the gardeners were trying to figure out what it was I asked AI and it answered me along with a full description of detailed information faster then it took you to type the "C" in Choanephora lol. So yes, for people that don't know everything there possibly is to know about gardening AI has a place in the garden. You should get use to it, google is already starting to replace their search engine with AI and I assume you found that old school link using google search.

I don't think it helps you write poetry. The arts are about exploring the options. The absurdity of AI is that it's "artificial imitation". Can you check if I got that quotation right, it's from a bloke called Penrose?? - or something like that??
There are different AI's but I use the gpt from OpenAI. I enjoy poetry very much but am horrible at writing it so the one I use helps me write poetry. I also do AI art now too and starting AI animation. I'm not sure who Penrose is?

Pepper is concerned about staying modern and talking to the young on this forum. So am I. But did you socialize with people three times your age when you were young? My daughter was interested in gardening from the start. She is a good gardener - but she's bringing up a daughter of her own now and doesn't garden with me. I'm going back over the past topics and that is a good collection of topics that are still being discussed now. It's the sense of humor that makes the reading interesting.
It's important to stay on-top of things at my age, I still have another 50-60 years left give or take, unless something unexpected happens to me. None of my irl friends or family (in real life) or online friends garden so that's why I joined this forum. My son gardens with me but he is just a kid. That and it's nice to get a break from social media when I am on here otherwise I would have joined one of those gardening chats. So as nice as it would be to have some people on here in my age group it really doesn't matter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had already said it was choanephora back on the first page.
Yes, you did! You made my day, too! I've spent two hours looking for AI topics in General Garden Talk, getting sidetracked along the way, but I haven't found it yet. I put AI in search. Search said it was too short. But you have planted a seed of interest and pulled me out from under my rock, Pepper. You deserve all those feathers! :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, you did! You made my day, too! I've spent two hours looking for AI topics in General Garden Talk, getting sidetracked along the way, but I haven't found it yet. I put AI in search. Search said it was too short. But you have planted a seed of interest and pulled me out from under my rock, Pepper. You deserve all those feathers! :)
Lol thanks. You should have gotten the notification to the thread unless I used your old profile by mistake. I'll go and send you a nother notification that will take you right to it, this time I'll make sure to use your current member profile lol. :)

There, you should have the notification now. But the thread is in the top of the "general chat" section, not the "general garden talk" section.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That's the link I looked into. It was plain as day! It has a permanent spot among my gardening notes. One of the few moments in my
gardening life where clarity reigned. Seriously. :) If in my excitement I forgot to thank you, THANK YOU! And, yes, I'm yelling.
Cool! Glad to be useful! It is really not a problem IF you stay ahead of it with cultivation methods.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cool! Glad to be useful! It is really not a problem IF you stay ahead of it with cultivation methods.
Not sure what you mean by cultivation methods. It was on one small squash in one container. I've never seen it before and I haven't seen it on anything since, and I don't want to. So I wonder if I should throw away that container soil. I don't know what diseases lurk
in soil ready for the next season's plant. But I know pests certainly do! I was digging up (totally off topic) sweet potatoes and kept
finding these white, segmented, half inch grub looking things. I was afraid they were squash vine borer larvae or pupae. The moth is actually a pretty little thing. I dug through both beds looking for them and put them in a container. I started out stepping on them but couldn't stand that popping noise! Ugh. Then I decided to put them in a glass jar with soil and a top and see what they turned into. At night I saw them crawling about on top of the soil, so gave them potato peelings in case they were hungry. And they ate them! But my accommodations were apparently not up to their standards and they all died. The End

Ask a Question