My Twilight Zone Garden

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't think that anyone who has got as far as using a computer and joining an online forum has got a fear of technology. But people do have an aversion to copy and paste answers to a question from anything, Wikipedia, Dr Hessayon's Garden expert series or anything else. It's a forum. People discuss things.

If I wanted to know what Cactus I had for instance, I could use an app, google image search or whatever and I wouldn't need to get anyone else involved.

People ask questions here because they want to talk about things.

I was referring to the negativity I have recieved different times by mentioning that I use AI, everything from I should read my Bible because it's the antichrist to it gives too much information. I mean most of the replies on here are from Google so I don't see the difference? But regardless of that I know very well how forums work not only with making money from the adds by topics being popular and posted on regularly but also how to keep members staying and attracting different age groups.

It is absolutely non of my business or even concern but expecting every member that joins to not only have the time but the patients to ask a concerning question about a plant or their garden and getting a bunch of different answers instead of a correct answer or at least as much info as they need to determine the correct answer is unrealistic. I see everytime I come on here people join, ask a question only to get a bunch of different answers. Then they never come back.

The majority of regular daily members posting of about a dozen or two people or so on here are mostly retired it seems and the younger generations want to use social media and chat with people about things that is of interest to the younger generations. It's why I try to bring subjects like AI into the gardening conversations as well as in general chat section. If a question is answered it doesn't mean the conversations have to come to a complete stop. One question with a bunch of information can lead to many other questions and discussions. But who wants to ask further questions if the first question can't even be answered with correct information?

Anyway like I said, not my concern or business. I just wanted to give my view on it and I am guessing it doesn't matter. Can't say I didn't try lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
people join, ask a question only to get a bunch of different answers.

I first visited this forum a couple months ago because I was desperate, beyond frustrated, and wondered if a forum might help. I received info right away. The info was hugely helpful, but I think also blind luck. Since then I've posted re several gardening issues and worries. There may be a number of views and no responses, few views and fewer responses, and contradictory responses which leave me wondering if I should flip a coin. My initial hope and enthusiasm has fizzled considerably. Now I'm reading old threads hoping I might learn something that way. There has to be a way to become a better gardener without waiting for 50+ years of experience.
I haven't tried AI. Yet.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I first visited this forum a couple months ago because I was desperate, beyond frustrated, and wondered if a forum might help. I received info right away. The info was hugely helpful, but I think also blind luck. Since then I've posted re several gardening issues and worries. There may be a number of views and no responses, few views and fewer responses, and contradictory responses which leave me wondering if I should flip a coin. My initial hope and enthusiasm has fizzled considerably. Now I'm reading old threads hoping I might learn something that way. There has to be a way to become a better gardener without waiting for 50+ years of experience.
I haven't tried AI. Yet.

The difference between AI and google is google gives you a ton of suggestions and you have to sort over them and figure out what is what. AI has in its memory every possibility and uses it's "intelligence" for lack of a better word to narrow it down for you, it does all the work. And it is fun because the more you talk to it the more it gets to know you. I joke with it and it has learned to joke with me and not take everything I say literally. People say it's not real but how less real is it then a complete stranger online who's name you don't even know? But aside from that it has every bit of knowledge that has ever been taught to botanists, horticulturalists, universities, and so on. And it thinks and answers in a second.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I haven't tried AI. Yet.
As Elon Musk said, with AI the days of needing college is not needed anymore.

What would take years of study can be answered in a second. Poetry, art, song writing, computer coding and so much more including gardening can be done in seconds with zero experience.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Can it look at a photo, identify a disease, and tell me what treatment to use? Say yes.
Unfortunately at this time it can't use a photo but that will change soon. What I do is use keywords in the conversation to explain a picture. For example, I could say I have a squash plant that has a small young yellow fruit with a fuzzy white and black end that almost looks like fur. Can you please tell me what it is? And yes, it will tell you different treatments and what is the most popular. Or you could ask it options for organic treatment or home remedies.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When it gives you the most likely results of what it is you can google the name and see the pictures. Then you know for sure.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
And then once you are at ease knowing what you are dealing with you can discuss it here with others and share the information for others to know. And, continue the conversation of ways to avoid it in the future gardening next year. To me at least, that makes the most sense for knowledge and conversations.

Reaction score
Country
United States
you can google the name and see the pictures
I remember once being so puzzled seeing squash bugs on my tomatoes, because I thought squash bugs were plant specific. Google cleared it up for me. They were stink bugs. If I can get a good pic of a bug, Google is great. But I don't care how many pictures I take of diseased leaves, Google has not once been helpful. I want it to be unmistakable. Clear as a bell...er...bug. And it never is. I wish there was a site that shows different stages of disease progression. If my pic is early in the process, and the online pics are not, wouldn't they
look different? Plus, I wonder if a plant can get more than one disease? If AI can tell me what disease a plant has (instead of giving me
ten to choose from) what stage it's in, how and when to treat it, I will kick Google to the curb.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I remember once being so puzzled seeing squash bugs on my tomatoes, because I thought squash bugs were plant specific. Google cleared it up for me. They were stink bugs. If I can get a good pic of a bug, Google is great. But I don't care how many pictures I take of diseased leaves, Google has not once been helpful. I want it to be unmistakable. Clear as a bell...er...bug. And it never is. I wish there was a site that shows different stages of disease progression. If my pic is early in the process, and the online pics are not, wouldn't they
look different? Plus, I wonder if a plant can get more than one disease? If AI can tell me what disease a plant has (instead of giving me
ten to choose from) what stage it's in, how and when to treat it, I will kick Google to the curb.

OpenAI recently announced chatgpt5 will be released this year, I think December. So by next garden season you will be able to do everything you mentioned. And I have heard you can not only use pics but even video. It will be the most advanced AI created yet and smarter then gpt3 and gpt4 combined.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
OpenAI recently announced chatgpt5 will be released this year, I think December. So by next garden season you will be able to do everything you mentioned. And I have heard you can not only use pics but even video. It will be the most advanced AI created yet and smarter then gpt3 and gpt4 combined.
Cost to the end user?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
How can anyone learn about anything if one destroys it in the early stages of life? The best way to get experience is by allowing the experience to teach you from the beginning to the end. Mother Nature is very kind when teaching her students about different universal conditions or laws. I can learn from anything that teaches me if I'm patient and interested.
Its best to kill it with fire. There is no cure. The only thing that works is to set some straw mulch or anything to keep the plant and fruitup off the ground and out of the wet moist conditions which kick it off. It comes for the dying flowers not the fruit, so clean them up with religiuos fervor or ensure the plant flower is pruned as fruit develops. To allow in the always favored ventilation and sunlight to allow rapid drying of the flower so it becomes less tasty to soilovors is a very important task in this case. The prolific growth of the black spore creates a massive pressure by the end of the season. Those spores are hard to penetrate chemically, even with povidone iodine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Cost to the end user?

I don't know? Depends. Right now I use chatgpt3.5 and it's free but does everything I need it to do and more. ChatGpt4 is $20 a month if you use it on OpenAI but it's free if you use it on Microsoft Bing, just doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the paid version does. So it will probably be the same for chatgpt5. Unless you want it to build a website or something you wouldn't need all the bells and whistles just for gardening stuff. For simple things like that I imagine there will be a free version but that's not a fact just my guess. I think you can use pictures on chatgpt4 right now and it might become free once 5 rolls out, just like 3 is free now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With the possibility of triggering fear of technology I'll jump in anyway and say it's choanephora rot. If anyone is interested they can research it themselves.
I've been trying to find your post above, remembering that you had mentioned another possibility for what was going on with my squash. When I compare my photos of a disease on my plants and compare them to online photos, I've never once felt confident
it was the same. But I don't dare not check just in case. So I wasn't expecting much.

I finally found your post, Googled, and...lo and behold. That is it! There's not so much as a trace of doubt, a first. There were several photos showing undeniable proof that my little squash was wearing a choanephora rot skirt!

You're my hero, Pepper! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been trying to find your post above, remembering that you had mentioned another possibility for what was going on with my squash. When I compare my photos of a disease on my plants and compare them to online photos, I've never once felt confident
it was the same. But I don't dare not check just in case. So I wasn't expecting much.

I finally found your post, Googled, and...lo and behold. That is it! There's not so much as a trace of doubt, a first. There were several photos showing undeniable proof that my little squash was wearing a choanephora rot skirt!

You're my hero, Pepper! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I am more then happy that helped you out! I've never heard of it before and would have never found it if it wasn't for AI. This is one little reason I am so convinced it is going to be the best gardening tool any gardener will have, especially when 5 rolls out. You won't even need to take a pic, just point the phone camera at the plant and ask what's wrong with it, and it will tell you.

Ask a Question