Replacement shelves for a thrift-store greenhouse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all,

I got this type of greenhouse from a thrift store (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5D8M22...p_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM)

Only problem is, it didn't come with the set-over wire shelves, so I just have the skeleton, so to speak, of the thing. I'm trying to thing of a replacement for the original shelves, but I can't decide what would be best. I'm considering maybe a loop of chicken/poultry wire, for the same material and drainage? Or maybe some kind of plastic sheet...but I'm not sure. Any ideas or resources? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First thing that comes to my mind is the wire shelves for closets. They have the vertical supports too if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would stick to wire if you can, drainage as you say, but also light. My daughter has one of those, she has a small, concreted yard, grows everything in pots, and finds it endlessly useful, a good find. Maybe a square frame of light wooden battening and staple the wire to it stretched across?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree about keeping it wire. I do have some spare shelving, @YumYum but I worry it's too long and heavy to bother working with...nor do I have enough for all of it. I'll have to do some research and figure out what's best to lay in there, and do it asap!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Temporary solution: old floor tiles. While it does block the sun to a degree, the angle of the sun still hits each shelf (so far) and hopefully the tiles will help heat retention at night. Maybe? Hopefully.

1711388454463.png

Okay second question; with this type of greenhouse, in a super sunny place, can I leave it outside now that temperatures are generally above 50, or should it still be indoors for seed germination?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a small greenhouse and when it is sealed at 50F ambient and sunny it tends to hover around 80-85F. Any warmer than that and the temps inside can really climb so you will just have to experiment with what you are trying to accomplish. It can climb to 110F this time of year in mine if the fan doesn't kick on, which will put a hurting on your plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You may be able to get some chicken wire and stretch it tightly and maybe that would hold your plants. It would hold a flat of starts but you may have a problem with heavy pots.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aviary wire is stronger than chicken wire, and our local DIY supermarket has squares of stuff that is actually rigid, but I don't know what is available there, it gets used for things like the front of rabbit hutches, rodents can really chew.
My problem with greenhouses at this time of year is night time temperatures, nice and warm during the day with the sun on it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basically my Greenhouse is open 24/7 now but I'm in 7a.

I have some seeds I'm starting but have them on Heat Pads with regulater for the heat.

Night will be your big problem. If you have room for a small Heater that you can get wet would work.

big rockpile

Ask a Question