Perennials in containers

Reaction score
My principal told me today I am in charge of putting planters outside the school. I will assist in a new program that will hopefully give students more pride in the school by helping to beautify it. Annuals look beautiful in planters but I don't want to be buying new plants every fall and spring to fill planters. What perennials would do well in containers as the main focal point with a couple annuals added for a splash of color? Or could I do the whole thing in perennials that bloom at different times of year. I live in South Carolina so our winters are mild, for the most of them.

I was thinking hosta, creeping jenny, sedum, variegated liriope, maybe columbine and iris for some possible plants. Several containers will be shade under an awning and a few more in full sun.

Reaction score
Azaleas, I would guess that nearly every yard in the South Carolina has at least one azalea. I had not thought about using it as a plant for containers. I don't remember seeing any fushias for sale around here but I never looked. I'll check the local nursery and see if they sell them and if they would work here as a perennial.

Reaction score
Azalea  11-11-11 009 (Small).jpg
I don't have many photos of the ones Ihave in pots, but here is one.

Reaction score
I guess you have to prune them a lot. Azaleas get very large, some huge.

Reaction score
what size planter are you thinking? how wide and tall?

My azaleas never get very big, might be my zone. Black eyed susans would bloom all summer, but that would be when the kids aren't in school. Hostas would look good, maybe some russion sage it blooms all summer as well.

Reaction score
I'd go for tulips, but that's just my humble opinion :) They're rather colorful and easy to grow and take care off! The come in so many different colors! They are just perfect!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know your climate, but I have a choisya, sundance, growing in a container. It has really bright yellow foliage, which smells pleasant if brushed against, and highly scented white flowers.

In terms of annuals perhaps choose some that seed can be saved from. saving and germinating seed is quite instructive. Have you considered the occasional edible? Something like red cabbage mixes well with flowering plants, and a Spring sprouting broccoli, or kale will provide green all winter, kids like to eat things they have seen growing. If you have somewhere they can climb climbing beans often have good flowers. There are some really good dwarfing root stocks for fruit trees now as well as bushes like blueberry, currants and gooseberry

If you are using containers Meadowlark's thread on an experiment in hugelculture might be interesting to you. He has found wood in the base of the containers helps greatly.

It sounds like a really fun and worthwhile project, good luck.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've seen this thread referenced a few times, can I get a direct link to it or should I keep hunting?
Here you go...14 pages and a quiz after you read them all o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here you go...14 pages and a quiz after you read them all o_O

Fabulous! We'll see how I feel after I read it all :eek: Thanks!

Ask a Question