Grafting mango tree question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Iam in south florida .if I grow an Indian mango from seed and then graft the plant to a local Carrie mango will the grafted branch produce the Indoan mango or some kind of hybrid ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Each seed,when grown, will be its own variety of mango. Not necessarily a hybrid. If two of the same variety of mango happen to cross pollinate, you will still have a different variety of mango from that seed. If two different varieties of mango cross pollinate, you will still have a different variety of mango from that seed. I guess you would call that one a hybrid.

The only way to keep the same variety of tree (hybrid or not) is from a cutting from that tree, whether or not you graft it onto something else or root it and grow it from the ground up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure I fully understand. So let's say seedling is A n Carrie mango is B. I attach the complete plant A ,with its pot to tree B (attaching at the stem) .once it's fused with host I cut off the pot .
Now from this point on what will happen ?
Once this plant A ,that is part of tree B gives fruit , will this fruit be hybrid ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you use seedling A as a rootstock and graft cutting B to it, then everything above cutting B is a Carrie Mango variety, not some other variety. Anything below the graft union that srouts and grows branches will be whatever seedling A variety is, not some other variety.

So basically whatever the scion wood variety is, is what the variety of fruit will be. The only way it will change varieties is if you plant the seed and grow it. Then it changes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh no it's the opposite iam not using seedling as root stock, iam attaching the seedling to the host tree ,there are many videos on YouTube for that.
You know what I mean or shall I put a drawing ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Iam in south florida .if I grow an Indian mango from seed and then graft the plant to a local Carrie mango will the grafted branch produce the Indoan mango or some kind of hybrid ?
If you grow a seed from an Indian Mango it will not be an Indian Mango. It will be a mango but will have different traits and will be of no known variety of Mango technically. You may produce a good tasting, disease resistant variety or the exact opposite from a seed grown fruit tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you grow a seed from an Indian Mango it will not be an Indian Mango. It will be a mango but will have different traits and will be of no known variety of Mango technically. You may produce a good tasting, disease resistant variety or the exact opposite from a seed grown fruit tree.
so even though after its grafted to the local host tree it might or might not bear good fruits ?

basically no point in trying to grow an indian mango from see in south florida ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
basically no point in trying to grow an indian mango from see in south florida ?
From seed is how new varieties come about. Either find a good one growing in the wild or by trial and error of planting them yourself. Take your chances if you want, but you likely won't find out its faults for several years.

Ask a Question