Growing chillies indoors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All, I currently have seven varieties of Chilli plants that I took indoors around October (just waiting for the weather to take them outside again), I'm struggling with watering them in time, I usually end up waiting for them to wilt for fear of over watering and root rot but a couple of times the leaves literally dried and fell off looking dead, has anyone used those terracotta watering spikes on Chilli plants before, again I have a fear of having the soil constantly moist.
MOIST soil does not harm a plant but wet soil will kill a plant eventually. It isn't the water that harms the plant, it is the lack of oxygen. Keeping the soil moist stabilizes the plant allowing for steady growth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I currently have seven varieties of Chilli plants that I took indoors around October (just waiting for the weather to take them outside again), I'm struggling with watering them in time, I usually end up waiting for them to wilt for fear of over watering and root rot but a couple of times the leaves literally dried and fell off looking dead, has anyone used those terracotta watering spikes on Chilli plants before, again I have a fear of having the soil constantly moist.
I’ve grown chillis indoors in England in 10” pots. In winter the plant goes into hibernation and dropping leaves is normal. I use to trim the rootball in early January, removing half, then putting it back into the pot with fresh compost. I also trimmed the stem to a 6-8” length. It would start to sprout again in late winter or spring. For watering, I preferred to bottom water, so stand the pot in a tray with some water in. Top watering encouraged fungus gnats which damage the plant. Chillis are hungry, they need feeding regularly when growing. I used tomato feed. Rocoto - Capsicum pubescens - does well indoors. I liked Habanero too, always got 50 or so fruits per harvest, two harvests a year.

Ask a Question