Ficus in pots?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello gardening friends, I have this ficus tree in a pot which we were originally going to plant in the ground but we are quite fond of him in a pot now ..do you think he will
1000044268.jpg
be happy enough to survive in one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For at least a few years, yes. It will need a bigger pot eventually or you will have to treat it like a bonsai by removing some old soil and roots, cutting back and replace in the old pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I had one of those, kept it in a pot. Bought it in 1979, it moved with me to various places. As it got large it was transferred to a larger pot. One thing, if you keep it outside all summer and bring it in, it tends to drop leaves then, and you might think its dying, but it is just fine. As mine got really too big to haul it in and out the door, 20 foot tall and 10 feet wide it then remained inside all year, had a medium sunny spot in my garden room. No leaves are dropped then, or maybe just a few. So one day in the year of 1999 I said to the tree, all you are is a big tree, you have no flowers and you take up a lot of space. So Dear Tree I am going to give you one last summer on the deck. So husband and I dragged it out to the deck. I let it stay out there, fall came, then winter and the frost killed it. It was hauled out to the burn pile. And that is the story of my tree.

Ask a Question