FERTILIZER Leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have decided some to just chop up put in big pile, cover so they don't blow off let them rot.

Bought me a Compost Bin that opens on the bottom and don't turn the Compost.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I have decided some to just chop up put in big pile, cover so they don't blow off let them rot.

big rockpile
Big Rockpile is going to make a big leafpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

big rockpile
I use a length of chicken wire and join the ends together to make a cylinder that I can fill with leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is not a whole lot of nutrition in leaf mould, though I don't know if that might vary with the type of tree. What it is good for is moisture. Excess moisture drains from it really quickly, but at the same time the amount it will hold is high, best of both worlds, no drowning, no drying out.
Leaf Mold is not about the nutrients it is about the Microbs.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These things are all interactive, stuff which is decayed by a fungus can be food for bacteria, or mixtures containing leaf mould will stay moist, an essential for any sort of life. My formula is to mix in anything I can get, for free if possible. All organic matter contains some sort of nutrients, which will become available as they decay, and most decay will liberate a certain amount of water keeping it damp and assisting the process.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These things are all interactive, stuff which is decayed by a fungus can be food for bacteria, or mixtures containing leaf mould will stay moist, an essential for any sort of life. My formula is to mix in anything I can get, for free if possible. All organic matter contains some sort of nutrients, which will become available as they decay, and most decay will liberate a certain amount of water keeping it damp and assisting the process.
So mix the Fugi with Bacteria?

I don't know I'm watching a guy that is all over with Leaf Mold but I'm thinking mix my Leaves with Compost and use just it.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
When in doubt add organic matter. I don't care what form it is in: leafs, compost, fungal dominated compost, mulch. It all has good stuff in it. The fungus and the bacteria work in parallel at the same time. Both work to feed invertebrates. Worms eat the bacteria and microbes that do the actual composting but then the worms leave behind a concentrated nutrient compost which intern cultures more bacteria. It all works as an interconnected network.

Heck, be lazy, build the compost pile and put a few to several inches of soil over that and grow the garden in it.

It works.

Screw the internet gardening police. Their need for perfection and saying "this is the ONLY way" is just click bait.

====

Amending this:
I feed my garden soil a plant-based organic (matter) diet. I don't play with animal manure. Manure opens several other doors that can lead to bad results.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When in doubt add organic matter. I don't care what form it is in: leafs, compost, fungal dominated compost, mulch. It all has good stuff in it. The fungus and the bacteria work in parallel at the same time. Both work to feed invertebrates. Worms eat the bacteria and microbes that do the actual composting but then the worms leave behind a concentrated nutrient compost which intern cultures more bacteria. It all works as an interconnected network.

Heck, be lazy, build the compost pile and put a few to several inches of soil over that and grow the garden in it.

It works.

Screw the internet gardening police. Their need for perfection and saying "this is the ONLY way" is just click bait.

====

Amending this:
I feed my garden soil a plant-based organic (matter) diet. I don't play with animal manure. Manure opens several other doors that can lead to bad results.
Well I do use Chicken Manuer that would find its way no matter.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't care what form it is in: leafs, compost, fungal dominated compost, mulch. It all has good stuff in it.
It can have bad stuff too, I avoid anything from roses or fungal infected tomatoes. You would have to be sure it got very hot right through to be sure of killing all the spores.

Ask a Question