Wisteria Root

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the Wisteria roots is growing so that it is visible and raising the artificial grass.

Can I cut and remove the root without killing the Wisteria? The root is large - diameter 3”

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing kills wiateria. You can cut it, burn it, pull it out of the ground with a tractor, it'll come RIGHT back up. Cut that off, but more will grow from where that one was.

I have a wisteria just outside my back fence that someone planted years ago. I run the runners over, cut them, dig them out,... still coming !!

Worst plant ever !! (In my humble opinion).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For Anniekay and NMRuss, you can paint undiluted glyphosate on leaves, stems and cut trunks to kill wisteria. It may take a few applications - fewer if the plant s small or struggling - but it can be done.
HJKSHD246, do NOT do this to yours as it will kill the entire plant. Do expect new roots to grow at the point you cut the big one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For Anniekay and NMRuss, you can paint undiluted glyphosate on leaves, stems and cut trunks to kill wisteria. It may take a few applications - fewer if the plant s small or struggling - but it can be done.
HJKSHD246, do NOT do this to yours as it will kill the entire plant. Do expect new roots to grow at the point you cut the big one.
Mine's grown 60' up a tree and the trunks, 4 of them, are as big as my thigh. The branches are all through the tree canopy behind my shade garden and still travelling. The ground behind the shade garden is full of their roots and the branches come snaking out from behind the fence.

Think it's a bit too late now. 😋

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the Wisteria roots is growing so that it is visible and raising the artificial grass.

Can I cut and remove the root without killing the Wisteria? The root is large - diameter 3”
I reckon the artificial grass has caused the root to rise to the surface as it is acting like an impervious ground cover material. Why not get rid of the fake grass and get something more natural which allows the rainwater to penetrate down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Just check that there's more root the other side of the plant.
Then cut off the offending root close to the trunk.
Then sink a barrier between the trunk and the artificial grass. Either a full roofing slate on something similar, to prevent more root growing under the grass from the same place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just check that there's more root the other side of the plant.
Then cut off the offending root close to the trunk.
Then sink a barrier between the trunk and the artificial grass. Either a full roofing slate on something similar, to prevent more root growing under the grass from the same place.
Believe me, that won't stop it; the root will go around or through it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do expect new roots to grow at the point you cut the big one.
This is my problem. Digging in the spring made one problem into dozens. When they come up i spray the new vines with 18% glyphosate. They still come up in differing places. I WILL win this war!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Use the strongest you can find and don't dilute it. I'm killing Paulownia, Brazilian Pepper and..... Ailanthus. Never give up, never surrender. Although I think the lack of irrigation and months of no rain help a lot with the Ailanthus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Triclopyr. Cut the root so you do not harm the mother root and apply triclopyr (brush killer) only on the cut root an avoid the cut area so you avoid harming the mother plant. We have giant wisteria here that hang their flowers from overhead gazebo racks, joists and trellis. Very nice in hot summer sun under the shade of the leaves. Triclopyr kills trees so be root aware.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can smell the Ailanthus from 30’ away!

I’ll try triclopyr if the glyphosate doesn’t do the job completely. It’s something we don’t use very often. Would you happen to know if it works on palm seedlings? We have a few areas where they are like a lawn.

Ask a Question