Why not Hollyhocks?

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One of my fondest memories as a young boy was my Grandmothers green thumb. Most of her effort went into vegetables. She always taught us to grow plants to eat. Her only two exceptions were Lilacs and Hollyhocks. She was outstanding at growing both. The aroma of the Lilac in bloom was hypnotic. Now that I have moved from Florida to North Carolina I'm again in a climate where I can grow both of these plants. I know it takes two years to get flowers on the Hollyhocks but I am amazed at how little interest the is in this flower both locally and on the internet. Is there a downside to growing these flowers? I did a search on this site and only found two posts on Hollyhocks. Can anyone explain why they aren't more popular?
My 2 cents:

1. Biennial Nature - Hollyhocks are biennials, they typically take two years to bloom from seed. This longer lifecycle can deter gardeners who prefer quicker blooms.
  2. Susceptibility to Diseases - They are prone to rust, a fungal disease that can significantly affect their health and appearance. This maintenance challenge might dissuade some gardeners.
  3. Space Requirements - Hollyhocks grow tall and may require staking in windy areas, which adds to their maintenance. Their size also means they need more space, which might not be available in smaller gardens.
  4. Limited Re-blooming - After their main blooming season, they may not re-bloom as prolifically, which might reduce their appeal compared to perennials that provide color throughout the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texassodanddrainage

Latest Threads