What's going on in the Greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United States
@alp Maybe I should bring them in? I think they're getting too hot, even in the shade. Im doing lavender, creeping thyme, basil, daisies and candy tuft.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@KKosy87 Have you got a thermometer in your gh? What is the temperature inside your gh please? Gh can get very hot very quickly as soon as the sun rises. I have raised all of those mentioned by you, apart from creeping thyme in window sills. What temperature do you have your way now please? If the outside temperature is 18C, most of the seeds will become toast in a gh.. unless you're trying for water lily seeds or bamboo.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@alp Yeah, i think you're right. I think it got too hot. I kept the greenhouse unzipped and open and in the shade, but still toasted them. I just watered them again and moved them on my kitchen counter. Do you think there is a chance they could still germinate? Or are they done? Lesson learned. Start earlier in the year, use plastic cells and grow in a window!!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
KKosy87 You made me laugh. You still haven't told me what temperature you've got inside your gh! If you have a window sill with sufficient light, not west facing though, you could easily raise your seeds there. I presume your house should be around 18C or a bit higher. 18C is about 64F, a temperature we are usually comfortable in. For candytuft, a lovely flower and best go for perennial, you probably still have a chance of raising them from seeds. Always read the instructions as some requires light, some cold spell, some warm, cold and warm spell. If you have lost the packet, you can always google.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually dont have a temp for the greenhouse. Sorry :( I just got it a few days ago. It's about 77 outside. Thank you so muchd for your time and advice. I guess we will see what happens now that i moved them inside. My house is right at 70 degrees, so hopeflythat doesnt fry them like they were outside.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
25C is far too hot. See if you can find somewhere cooler but with good light. I think 18 to 20 is usually recommended for most seeds. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Some more Petunias are blooming in my GH. I've told you all that I collected my Petunia seeds for the first time last year, well I guess a bit of cross pollinating went on or they just naturally do it but I'm getting some new colour variations. Very interesting but I hope their spreading habits aren't too messed up, might have some poorly arranged pots and baskets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
So from the Petunias with the dark pink almost purple blooms the seeds have given me the original colour and these
P1040381.JPG
two lighter shades of pink.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You've put me to shame! My pirouettes are in arrested development and yet yours are in flowers - in Canada - of all places. Beautiful colour spectrum you have there, @johnny canoe . Last year, I spilled a bag of white single petunia seeds collected by myself and lo and behold, they all came out white and I have about 200 of them to pot them. Freshly collected seeds are the best. Lovely petunias, johnny!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A year! More than that. He said he had quit everything apart from boozing. Weed and booze and now booze more. He has aged considerably.

Ask a Question