What's Eating My Potato Leaves?

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Are your raised beds inside a fenced yard? Even though nightshades are toxic to most animals sometimes goats, deer, squirels rats and other animals will eat them even though they get sick & can die from it. If you don't see a potato pest, then it could be a possibility. I use a chemical free natural home made folliars spray on most of my plants & have little to no problems with pests usually.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
I'm having problem with Japanese Beatles and they will make your leaves like a skeleton. If it's Flea Beatles you will have little holes all over the leaves.

big rockpile
Do you make a folliars spray to keep the beetles from eating the leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United States
An update to my first potato growing experience.
After I finally got rid of the bugs eating the leaves, the plants started putting on new growth. They never flowered, though. After four months (planting to harvesting), I decided to dig them up and was I surprised. The pic is all I dug out.
The seed potatoes I planted were from a ten-pound bag of russets. They were the last ones in the bag and small so I cut one in half, used the half with eyes and planted both. I also planted a whole potato with them with no discernable eyes.
They were grown in a 20 quart storage bin.
I think the whole potato produced more but not sure. I'm happy.
my-potatoes.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, but it’s in an elevated bed (about 4 ft off the ground) and I never see their slime trails.
Slugs love to climb, I have often seen them going up windows. Once they find a container they will make a home in it, usually betweem the earth and the wall, or in the base.

Ask a Question