What fruits can be grown from seed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can someone enlighten me on how to start growing from an avocado seed? I just used an avocado in cooking :)

You can do a search on youtube, there area few excellent videos. They are very easy to start, as someone else mentioned they will begin just by being tossed in the compost heap. But the better method is to support them using toothpicks in a glass of water to where half the seed is in the water and half is out the water. Avocados take a LOOOONG time to yield any fruit though.

For a fast bang, grow a lemon tree indoors. They make great ornamental plants in a well lit room and will produce fruit. The great thing is their leaves smell like lemon, so even when you don´t have fruit, the tree will make your living room smell clean like Pledge.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Here in the tropics, most fruits are prolifically bred from seed. An excellent example is guava whose seeds germinate readily and don't require any treatment for them to thrive. However, for quick results, I would recommend one to use air layering or grafting to save on time. Avocados are also excellent propagated by seed and in any case, most avocados in my place have not been planted. They grow naturally from discarded seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can grow just about any fruit from seed. However you will probably be old and grey before it produces, if ever. More or less 10 years from seed to fruit. And that depends if that particular seed needs another plant nearby for pollination. Better to take a graft or air layer from another plant

Ask a Question