What are these new weeds that popped up recently?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a professional answer on two of the plants in question from a local farm research facility
#1 Rosa multiflora - Multiflora Rose
#2 Ulmus pumila - Siberian Elm (Is not related to nearby tree)
#3 Elymus canadensis - Nodding Wild Rye - Likely from bird seed
#4 Plantago lanceolato - Narrow Leaf Plantain - edible, some young woman came over and dug up about 20 of them and put sod plugs in their place. She said they're edible a considered an herb.
I'll pass, she can take all of them.

When she said the thorny vines were multiflora rose, I said its never flowered, any of them anywhere here, she said they don't flower when their stressed.
That might be the heavy doses of round up I've been hitting it with.

The Siberian elm is apparently very resistant to poisons, she said the roots are nearly impossible to remove and they like to grown near foundations so the roots can find their way into rocks, concrete, and such to stay cool and search for trapped water.

The wild rye apparently is a common addition to bird seed, and if someone is feeding birds, their droppings can carry live seeds, thus the sudden outbreak of the stuff.

time to break out the propane torch. They said to use boiling water and vinegar on the elm and mf rose. the barley is apparently harmless so I'll let it grown in between the garden rows but pull it out around the plants, it'll make for winter fertilizer when I turn it under. If only I could get my lawn to grow that prolific.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Siberian elm is apparently very resistant to poisons,
The only way Ive found to rid yourself of Siberian elm is to cut the tree down, drill several holes down into the stump in a circle around the outer part and pour 18% glysophate into the holes. Ive never had one come back.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another weed we constantly fight here is Tree of Heaven.
What we call Tree of Heaven here is actually Ailanthus. I swear its the same thing but a nursery owner said nope. It stinks to high heaven that I know... one can take care of it the same way as the elm....;)

Ask a Question