Weeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you think about collecting fallen leaves this fall and use them as mulch after using mover to break them a bit?
🤔I searched images on the internet of how mulch below the roses bushes might look and it probably wouldn't be bad. One thing that comes to mind and after reading what Oliver Buckle and Tetters said ( not sure how to tag people, I made this account specifically for this post) is that I might just end up feeding the weeds. If I add leaves as mulch this fall they will eventually decompose and the weeds would probably grow faster and in greater numbers than before. I would have to keep on adding mulch to keep the weeds from growing. I don't think there'll be leaves after a short while. That ties in with my idea of adding mulch in the future, looks like that idea's out the window. Cant keep on buying that much mulch. thanks for the reply! everyone's been very helpful

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently replaced my hoe, the handle broke and I couldn't find a replacement, The old hoe is one I got from my father, and he got it from my mother's father, it probably wasn't new when he got it, and it must be well over a hundred years old. Comparing it with the new one the new one has a stainless sheet blade thoroughly welded to the swan neck, which in turn is welded to the handle fitting. It is all very well made and looks like it will last a fair while.
The old one, on the other hand, is made from one piece of forged metal, a hundred years of continuous use have reduced the size of the blade considerably and the blade is twisted in relation to the handle slightly from always being used right handed, but when I find an eight foot ash handle it will be coming back into use.
I will have to make it a point to find a one-piece steel forged hoe blade, with no welds of course and an 8 ft ash wood handle. Hopefully it's not too hard to find. the one I got has 2 welds unfortunately and is only 5 ft long. Should do the job for now though. Thank you kind sir for your insights! and I really mean that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will have to make it a point to find a one-piece steel forged hoe blade
I am afraid they probably stopped making them years ago, only if you can find a friendly blacksmith :)
Don't worry about the welds, if they are done half decently they will probably see you out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I weeded almost the entire area yesterday using the stirrup hoe, it was a breeze compared to before. The regular backhoe Oliver Buckle recommended should come in handy to move the dirt around when needed or for something else. thanks so much!
I am guessing that a stirrup hoe is what I call a Dutch hoe, it looks a bit like a stirrup. That is my missus's choice, I prefer the back hoe because I can chop weeds up with it, and if something is getting a tap root established I can dig it out. It is good for moving dirt around, I tend to hoe towards me and then move all the loose dirt back by pushing away from me, it ensures there are no roots or weeds lying flat under the tilth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am guessing that a stirrup hoe is what I call a Dutch hoe, it looks a bit like a stirrup. That is my missus's choice, I prefer the back hoe because I can chop weeds up with it, and if something is getting a tap root established I can dig it out. It is good for moving dirt around, I tend to hoe towards me and then move all the loose dirt back by pushing away from me, it ensures there are no roots or weeds lying flat under the tilth.
I see what you mean. I'll use the back hoe next time, see what works better for me. Can totally see yor point about digging out deeper rooted weeds. If I miss weeding a few times and the weeds become overgrown a bit I can see the back hoe doing a better job.

I feel terrible for all the snails that get crushed 😭!! They were having such a great time lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am afraid they probably stopped making them years ago, only if you can find a friendly blacksmith :)
Don't worry about the welds, if they are done half decently they will probably see you out.
oh no thats terrible. Maybe if I get lucky I can find one at a yard sale one day. oh well

Ask a Question