Vegetable ID Please

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Can someone tell me what this is? It came in my radish seed pack. Everything about it, leaf structure and development was just like the rest of the radishes but this thing kept getting larger and larger dwarfing the rest of the radishes & is white in color, not light green like in the photos.

I don't plan on harvesting it but will let it go to seed just in case it's something good.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6577.JPG
    IMG_6577.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6576.JPG
    IMG_6576.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6578.JPG
    IMG_6578.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it may well be a different radish. There are several different sorts. Sometimes the odd seed can find itself in the wrong packet. I had an odd one in a packet of flower seeds, and it turned out to be a Corncockle.
There is a big long radish called daicon (or something like that) and some big round ones if you look them up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the leaves the same as the turnip? It will be far more interesting if it's a turnip. I had never heard of them before I read about yours @Meadowlark

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are the leaves the same as the turnip? It will be far more interesting if it's a turnip. I had never heard of them before I read about yours @Meadowlark
Actually the leaves look identical to those of the radishes. Not so much like Meadowlark's. Although it is the shape of the bulb that looks just like his.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They use the same packaging machines on different vegetables and varieties. A different variety seed they missed got flung up into the mix and you found it. Grow it and see what it tastes like. Then wonder what it was for the rest of your life. Hehe.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
^^^Will let it bolt and collect the seeds. Looks quite happy where it is so I should get plenty of seeds. Then I'll plant it and then test it and be able to ID it without too much trouble...Hehe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid I haven't got a clue. We would need to look them up I think. Sorry. Meadowlark would probably know.

Ask a Question