Unhappy looking large succulent. Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
This plant was in my back yard, it did get a little crowded when all the other plants around it grew. Recently the sun stops hitting the back so I moved it to the front. That's when I noticed these very unwell looking areas.

It's now getting sunlight and has much better ventilation as it's on its own and I've lifted it onto the planks of wood you can see.

If there anything that can be done to treat this? I'm wondering if it looks like it's going to spread and kill the plant if I should just go ahead a propagate from one of the side shoots before its too late?

PXL_20211031_143538753.jpg
PXL_20211031_143551153.jpg
PXL_20211031_143544554.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm seeing fluid leak out and I can almost feel the tissue softening. It looks like your Tree Euphorbia (E. ingens, or similar) trunk is going quickly. Remove side branches. Keep them in a dry, bright place,such as under the eaves, until Spring and then begin potting them up to re-root. You can even pot them upright over Winter in dry spotting soil, but don't water until Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks Marck,

The dark area is definitely rising daily. I think i'll remove the side branches today, luckily there's 3 so I can pot one up over winter as you said and wait til spring on another.

How long do you think they'll 'store' out of potting soil?

The reason I ask is I'm currently in Zone 10b but am about to move to zone 7b. So I anticipate this will be become either an indoor plant or only outside for the summer months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've rooted Euphorbia and cacti that have sat as unrooted cuttings for years. Large stem-succulents are remarkable that way.
Tree Euphorbia make wonderful houseplant/summer patio plants for bright light areas. You might want to have the container on rolling casters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I've rooted Euphorbia and cacti that have sat as unrooted cuttings for years. Large stem-succulents are remarkable that way.
Tree Euphorbia make wonderful houseplant/summer patio plants for bright light areas. You might want to have the container on rolling casters.
Great, good to know. Thanks so much for your help.

I'm going to go out now to buy a new container and potting medium. Would you say a cacti mix potting soil is good for rooting, or should I go for purely sand?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Root in potting soil works fine, and saves a transplanting step. A well-draining succulent mix should do fine.
Hey Marck,

Another question if you have time. I've removed the 3 branches, all is looking good and i'm going to pot one up now.

How do you store the branches that aren't potted up? Do they still need to receive any sun light at all or can they be stored away somewhere dark and dry?

Many thanks,
Thomas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't place them in full darkness, bright shade would be best. Fore example under the eaves on a north side of a house.
If they are going to be indoors in a cold climate, could try to root them sooner, for example, in a warm, sunny window. However do let them stay dry for about a week first, so the cut can callus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I wouldn't place them in full darkness, bright shade would be best. Fore example under the eaves on a north side of a house.
If they are going to be indoors in a cold climate, could try to root them sooner, for example, in a warm, sunny window. However do let them stay dry for about a week first, so the cut can callus.
Ok amazing. I'll wait a week and pot them all up!

Thanks again Marck.

Ask a Question