Tree seedling or weed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm quite new to the gardening scene but I've spotted a little seedling-looking plant growing right next to the trunk of one of my family's acers.
The acer it was growing under has never produced any seeds despite being at least 15 years old, and it doesn't really look like it or any of the other acers in the yard or any trees in the surrounding area either. I have absolutely no idea what it is but I've dug it up and stuck it in a pot we had lying around the yard in case it was a tree (wouldn't like it to die from the acer outcompeting it) but it could well be a weed and I don't really have the experience to tell.
The stem is quite barky and firm and the leaves are quite small. It's perhaps maybe 3 inches tall, including the taproot and it looks like a new shoot from something. If it is a tree, I suspect one of the local squirrels might have burried something over winter that's germinated this spring. Does anybody recognise what this is?

Attachments

• 20240503_201918.jpg
    20240503_201918.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 9

Ask a Question