Steep Sloping bank

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sedum seems like a good option. However, will it take hold in this section of the slope? It appears to get a lot of run-off from maybe the top, beyond the tree line and piled up leaves?

Attachments

• Slop 2.jpeg
    Slop 2.jpeg
    707.2 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t know really, that’s why I thought I’d pin down some coir first, but the nursery who sell the sedum mat , that I’m hoping to get Friday, say the sedum will grow into the soil quickly and hold it together, I’ll take advisement from them I guess.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would certainly let them know about that section of slope.

This is what I would do. The photo shows the steep portion of the slope in a blue circle.
The red line shows the level your wall should be. KIM it doesn't have to be the same thick wall. Just some sort of masonry to bring it up to that level.
I indicated also in red the ideal slope.

I would also check the area at the tree line above the slope to make sure your not getting run-off from that area. If you are, that should be your first area to address.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Slop.jpeg
    Slop.jpeg
    667 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The sedum mat is very similar to turf - grass I mean, and it will be quite thick and fairly heavy. Hopefully it will hold it all together, especially as the roots become established.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This is what I would do. The photo shows the steep portion of the slope in a blue circle.
The red line shows the level your wall should be. KIM it doesn't have to be the same thick wall. Just some sort of masonry to bring it up to that level.

I would also check the area at the tree line above the slope to make sure your not getting run-off from that area. If you are, that should be your first area to address.

Hope this helps.
Unfortunately I’m not in a position to add height to the wall, I can see your reasoning though for sure. .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hope this helps.
Do you mean making a terraced area? I can see how that could be a simple and effective way to ensure that no more subsidence occurs.
That need not be a difficult job at all. A railway sleeper could be used for the job, and I reckon I could manage that myself (age 80 and falling to bits)
1714558778659.png
This sort of thing? It would be worthwhile in case of problems, and in the circumstances maybe a bit silly not to consider it. You don't want problems later on do you Jan.
@sugarapsa Well done for spotting this, it hadn't really dawned on me at first, but now I can see where the future problems could well be. It would be a bit like spoiling the ship for a halfpennies worth of tar. An intervention I would be grateful for !!!!

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you mean making a terraced area? I can see how that could be a simple and effective way to ensure that no more subsidence occurs.
That need not be a difficult job at all. A railway sleeper could be used for the job, and I reckon I could manage that myself (age 80 and falling to bits)
View attachment 103082 This sort of thing? It would be worthwhile in case of problems, and in the circumstances maybe a bit silly not to consider it. You don't want problems later on do you Jan.
@sugarapsa Well done for spotting this, it hadn't really dawned on me at first, but now I can see where the future problems could well be. It would be a bit like spoiling the ship for a halfpennies worth of tar. An intervention I would be grateful for !!!!
I think this will work as well although with regard to masonry; cinder block can be laid over the existing stone wall cap. Simply drill holes in every other cinder block cell into the cap to accommodate 1/2" rebar. Then fill all the cinder block cells with concrete & cap the last layer of block.

I realize this project would be somewhat expensive. However, Jan might consider contacting schools in her area? Often times they have courses in Building Trades and would be willing to take on projects such as this. Your only cost will be for materials.

I'm afraid if Jan moves forward with her initial plan, it will be a constant maintenance problem costing even more money.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think this will work as well although with regard to masonry; cinder block can be laid over the existing stone wall cap. Simply drill holes in every other cinder block cell into the cap to accommodate 1/2" rebar. Then fill all the cinder block cells with concrete & cap the last layer of block.

I realize this project would be somewhat expensive. However, Jan might consider contacting schools in her area? Often times they have courses in Building Trades and would be willing to take on projects such as this. Your only cost will be for materials.

I'm afraid if Jan moves forward with her initial plan, it will be a constant maintenance problem costing even more money.
I reckon that a railway sleeper would probably suit Jan better, as it would be relatively cheaper and quicker.

Ask a Question