Stair Lifts

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The new cupboard will be delivered tomorrow.

I've bought a rectangular picture size mirror from John Lewis to go in the middle of that bit of wall over the cupboard and stairlift. That will come in a few days time.
The old mirror would stick out to the side of the new cupboard and wouldn't look right, so I binned it. Fortunately, I took it off the wall when the hall was last decorated, so the painted wallpaper was fine. Just two screw holes of the original six would be partly visible, so I've filled them and painted over them.

I've put the stairlift on my YouTube channel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The cupboard was scheduled for "first drop" today.
That apparently is 6.55am. Fortunately, I was up already.

P1020092.JPG

Calculations correct. Clear of the handle of the stairlift.

P1020097.JPG

First job.
Fit a double socket for the lamp and my phone charger with a cable that passes through the back of the cupboard to the wall socket above the skirting board, (with enough cable, so the cupboard can be pulled out for cleaning or if anything drops behind it). There isn't room for a double adapter behind the cupboard as the front door wouldn't pass the corner of the cupboard. I won't have two things on the same plug.

P1020094.JPG

Then a trip to the wood yard (in rush hour traffic) to have three shelves cut from "oak faced" laminated chipboard. They cost an arm and a leg, but I like things to look right.

The bit of offcut on the floor was a bit of laminate I cut to size, as my guide to ensure the brackets screwed in to the carcass were all the same height. You just sit the bracket on top and mark where you need to put the screws.

P1020096.JPG

Job finished and done by 10.15am.
Top shelf is for shoe cleaning stuff, clothes brush and keys.

P1020098.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The mirror I'd ordered from John Lewis to go above the stairlift chair and new cupboard has just arrived.

Most of it is down in the bottom corner.
I had to send this photo to them to get a replacement.

mirror.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The replacement for the broken mirror received on Monday arrived this afternoon.
So "stairlift corner is now complete." The wood of the mirror frame matches that of the shoe cupboard. Not a bad looking mirror for sixty quid.
John Lewis didn't want the broken one back, they said bin it. I saved the wooden frame, as it's a nice piece of oak. I don't know what I'll do with it, probably in a few weeks, put that in the bin too.

P1020107.JPG

We needed somewhere to put the wheely bin collection calendar. Previously I'd stuck it on the old full length mirror. I found this picture frame for it in Dunelm. It was only £3. What had been in that position for years was an old two-tone Morphy Richards bell. Decorators had painted round it. So it stayed there for decades, as we've had wireless ones since.
But now this hides the bit of wallpaper that is a different colour.

P1020108.JPG

Ask a Question