So dang confusing!

Reaction score
Country
United States
and you should see that after incorporating green manure from your covers in spring

I've babied my cover crop seeds along, making sure they stay moist, and yesterday noticed teeny sprouts beginning to appear a mere three days after sowing them. Being new at this, it offers a little element of interest, curiosity, and expectation!

I went out this morning, day 4, to check the moisture and saw that some audacious
little critter has dug three holes in one of my beds, wider than they are deep. No clue
what the rude little stinker was!

I'm going to smooth them over and sprinkle a few more seeds in those areas. But is there any
reason I shouldn't cover it with an insect barrier until these teeny seeds get a fair foothold?
I know this critter isn't an “insect”, but it still might provide a deterrent.

I took a pic of one of the holes and was gonna post it, and thought, “Oh, fer pity's sake!
Everybody knows what a dang hole looks like!” I need an eyeroll emoji, but this
will have to do: @@

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
But is there any reason I shouldn't cover it with an insect barrier until these teeny seeds get a fair foothold?
Not necessary for insects...but if the critter keeps up plundering it might be.

I predict you are going to love seeing all that clover and rye growing green while everything else around you turns brown and goes dead. I know it works that way with me and sometimes I find myself being prouder of the cover than the actual crops that follow.... but that's probably a "nerdy" reaction.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took a pic of one of the holes and was gonna post it, and thought, “Oh, fer pity's sake!
Everybody knows what a dang hole looks like!” I need an eyeroll emoji, but this
will have to do: @@
:rolleyes:🐸🐸 here you are, and a couple of frogs to go with it :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to smooth them over and sprinkle a few more seeds in those areas. But is there any
reason I shouldn't cover it with an insect barrier until these teeny seeds get a fair foothold?
Sometimes I knock up a wooden frame and cover it with polythene, keeps it warm and keeps the moisture in until I get germination. I bought a pack of green manure seed cheap and was looking at it today because it says sow sept-oct. Feeling the pack I can feel some sort of peas and grain so I am going to have to do something or I will just be feeding the local pigeons and mice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok I was reading and got this. In a garden most the time nutrients are taken and not replaced because stuff is harvested and the garden is cleared.

So this year work everything into the soil and maybe a little Lime it takes 6 months to work.

I'm going to plant Winter Wheat for a cover crop. Put some Leaves and Wood Ash down. Not too much Wood Ash that is one thing I've been doing and it shows.

Work all this in along with compost.

Have it tested.

This year I had White Flies start in my Peppers so I moved pot of Basil by them next day they was gone.

My Root Crops didn't do well but I will change this.

Know what plants will deter bad Bugs and know Good Bugs.

Been seeing Bees, Praying Mantis and Lady Bugs.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Eventho' my growing season isn't over, I've pulled every pest and disease ridden plant (i.e., all my plants) from my garden and my sole focus in on planning better for next year.

To that end, I was reading a site listing 12 things to put in a planting hole for peppers. They were:

Bonemeal
Worm Castings
Rockdust
Cow Manure
Green Sand
Egg Shells
Garden Lime
Fish Heads
Epsom Salts
Banana Peels
Coffee Grounds
Match Sticks (match sticks?!)

Fertilizers and soil amendments are a confusing topic. For me. And the above list seems
...irresponsible, maybe? How does this list maker know my soil needs all that stuff?
What harm might be done if you amend with something your soil has plenty of already?

I have or have access to bonemeal, egg shells, epsom salts, banana peels, coffee grounds, and match sticks. But I don't fish, and I don't know what rockdust, garden lime, or green sand is or the benefits of adding it to soil.

And if that list is targeted for peppers, can I assume there's another lengthy list targeted for other vegetables? Does every plant need a tailored list of amendments specifically for that plant?!

I'm trying to read, research, and learn. I want a better garden next year. At one point I tended to go with whatever gardening wind that blew into my ignorant head (which is why I have a worm bin, and why I bought something called biochar at one time), but I'm learning to be skeptical.

Well, I'm trying to!
Just read this. I am thinking buying peppers is cheaper.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Ok I was reading and got this. In a garden most the time nutrients are taken and not replaced because stuff is harvested and the garden is cleared.

The above is certainly not true in my approach to gardening. Nutrients are replaced via legume cover crops and composted cow manure. Soil tests confirm nutrient levels have all been replenished before the next crop planting. No synthetic fertilizers used in the process.

So this year work everything into the soil and maybe a little Lime it takes 6 months to work.
What is your ph currently? The addition of lime will raise the ph the amount depending on how much lime you add.

How do you know how much lime to add?

Do you know the ph levels that the prospective plants need, and have you compared that to what you have currently?

I'm going to plant Winter Wheat for a cover crop. Put some Leaves and Wood Ash down. Not too much Wood Ash that is one thing I've been doing and it shows.
Again, wood ash tends to raise ph... see above discussion...and on top of lime you may be raising the ph to levels that won't grow anything.

Why guess?

Work all this in along with compost.

Have it tested.

It is good to have it tested...but before adding amendments that can significantly change ph and nutrients, it is wise to know your going in ph and nutrient levels and adjust your amendments accordingly.

This year I had White Flies start in my Peppers so I moved pot of Basil by them next day they was gone.

My Root Crops didn't do well but I will change this.

How will you change this?

Do you know if you have adequate potassium and phosphorous to grow root crops? If not, do you know how much you need to increase those in your soil? A soil test would tell you that.

It has been my experience IF you get the soil right, i.e. the right nutrient density, the insects just are not a problem. Healthy plants = less insect and disease problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Medieval farmers left land fallow or a year. That does not mean they did nothing to it, they ploughed it at least three times, often more. Seems to me that's using green manure, but using the naturally occurring weeds instead of planting stuff specially. Also, when I hoe weeds get chopped into the tilth, same again. Not a new practice, just a new take (That sells seeds?)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Seems to me that's using green manure, but using the naturally occurring weeds instead of planting stuff specially. Also, when I hoe weeds get chopped into the tilth, same again. Not a new practice, just a new take (That sells seeds?)
I basically agree but with the caveat that it isn't a good idea to allow the weeds to go to seed. Green manure is magic stuff, and many weeds are very good enablers. However, certain legumes planted via seed are without question far superior to weeds for soil replenishment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mice really do worry me though, I can't grow peas or most beans by planting seeds direct, they simply vanish, same wit pots on the greenhouse floor, I either have to bring them indoors or put them up in the rafters.

Ask a Question