Question about onions

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted my sets in late Dec '23. I removed a few to make room for other summer vegetables (photo attached).

Two part question; how much longer will these take to fully develop on average, and should these be cured before using or is it best to use them fresh?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6586.JPG
    IMG_6586.JPG
    298.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6441.JPG
    IMG_6441.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
What variety of onions?

In my climate, I plant onions in Oct./Nov. and harvest in mid-May. Yours may be some later.

If the onion is for storage for use at a later date, it needs to be sun dried for a few hours before putting into storage. Also, I like to withdraw water from them at least a week before harvesting but that will be impossible this year with 43 inches of rain in the last 19 days.

If for immediate use, I do nothing to them except clean when using.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Varieties are Dulcinea Sweet & Texas Early.

After sun drying for a couple of hours are they stored as is or bulbs separated from the tops?

Attachments

• IMG_6441.JPG
    IMG_6441.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6440.JPG
    IMG_6440.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 0

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Two hours definitely would not be long enough here, but your climate is drier.
drying onions.JPG

After drying, I remove the tops as shown and store cut end up.

onion harvest 2019.JPG

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
My apologies if I wasn't clear about my question: I am not talking about mature onions. This discussion is about removing onion before they reach full cycle. Like the one in post #1. The reason I harvested them early is to make room for a few summer vegetables. So with this in mind: Can these be dried and stored?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My apologies if I wasn't clear about my question: I am not talking about mature onions. This discussion is about removing onion before they reach full cycle. Like the one in post #1. The reason I harvested them early is to make room for a few summer vegetables. So with this in mind: Can these be dried and stored?
Sure they can dried and stored. That is what they were when you planted them, a second year onion in most cases. That is the reason sets tend to bolt.

Now if you plan to replant it, it probably won't bulb out being a 3rd year onion. I don't know. Putting the little dried onion bulb in a salad does sound pretty good though. I haven't done that but I would try it with bulbing onions. Probably not with green onions.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure they can dried and stored. That is what they were when you planted them, a second year onion in most cases. That is the reason sets tend to bolt.

Now if you plan to replant it, it probably won't bulb out being a 3rd year onion. I don't know. Putting the little dried onion bulb in a salad does sound pretty good though. I haven't done that but I would try it with bulbing onions. Probably not with green onions.
Your first paragraph was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks YumYum!

Ask a Question