Peanuts have taken off!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Awww!! But maybe next year you can plant even more? I have yet to try homemade peanut butter, but I have heard it's completely and absolutely delicious! There is a machine for that in our local super market, where you can make your own peanut butter there, we haven't tried. it looks fun!

No, the plants I have now are already proving to be too much with my current schedule. I just had two consecutive days off and I barely got anything done because I just didn't have the stamina. It's so hot that you don't want to be outdoors and the watering of everything has become a real challenge. I'm still trying to sort out what to do with all the ornamental plants to combine stuff in planters... I am backing off edible plants for now.

Reaction score
No, the plants I have now are already proving to be too much with my current schedule. I just had two consecutive days off and I barely got anything done because I just didn't have the stamina. It's so hot that you don't want to be outdoors and the watering of everything has become a real challenge. I'm still trying to sort out what to do with all the ornamental plants to combine stuff in planters... I am backing off edible plants for now.

:( Sorry to hear that, I have heard ornamentals require a lot work and care, my dad used to grow a lot edibles, and it did look like a really tough job, specially with all those pests and this horrible heat. I always thought ornamentals were easier, I might focus on those and herbs for a while as well :) They're fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
:( Sorry to hear that, I have heard ornamentals require a lot work and care, my dad used to grow a lot edibles, and it did look like a really tough job, specially with all those pests and this horrible heat. I always thought ornamentals were easier, I might focus on those and herbs for a while as well :) They're fun!

I am combining herbs, edible flowers, and ornamentals - mostly pollinator plants in large planters because nothing is planted in-ground. In the past I would have planted anything pretty. Now I'm going for a cohesive "design" of perennials and things that are cold hardy. Gotta have my herbs though.

Reaction score
I am combining herbs, edible flowers, and ornamentals - mostly pollinator plants in large planters because nothing is planted in-ground. In the past I would have planted anything pretty. Now I'm going for a cohesive "design" of perennials and things that are cold hardy. Gotta have my herbs though.

Edible flowers? You eat a lot salads with those? I've yet to try a salad made with edible flowers, or anything else made with edible flowers, but I have seen a lot cooking ideas on Pinterest using edible flowers. I loved a cake I saw that was covered in edible flowers, it was so beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Edible flowers? You eat a lot salads with those? I've yet to try a salad made with edible flowers, or anything else made with edible flowers, but I have seen a lot cooking ideas on Pinterest using edible flowers. I loved a cake I saw that was covered in edible flowers, it was so beautiful!

No, I've barely delved into edible flowers. I should soak some nasturtium seeds so I can have some for salads in the fall. I like squash blossoms, but the snails really did a number on the plants last spring, and the July sun and heat finished them off. I tasted my new roses and one bush has delicious petals that I could use in something if I wanted. I'l have to do some experimenting.

Reaction score
No, I've barely delved into edible flowers. I should soak some nasturtium seeds so I can have some for salads in the fall. I like squash blossoms, but the snails really did a number on the plants last spring, and the July sun and heat finished them off. I tasted my new roses and one bush has delicious petals that I could use in something if I wanted. I'l have to do some experimenting.

Oh so sorry about your squash blossoms, we love having those at home, we love making quesadillas and soups with them. They're probably our favorite edible flower ever at home. I personally love the flavour and texture. Best of luck with those nasturtiums :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh so sorry about your squash blossoms, we love having those at home, we love making quesadillas and soups with them. They're probably our favorite edible flower ever at home. I personally love the flavour and texture. Best of luck with those nasturtiums :)

Thanks! Takes forever to germinate the seed! Last time I soaked them for at least two days. I tried planting some without soaking and they never came up.

By the way, I've been "hilling" up around the peanuts more and more. I can't wait to see what the harvest will be. I still have one plant that needs to move up to a larger container...

Reaction score
Thanks! Takes forever to germinate the seed! Last time I soaked them for at least two days. I tried planting some without soaking and they never came up.

By the way, I've been "hilling" up around the peanuts more and more. I can't wait to see what the harvest will be. I still have one plant that needs to move up to a larger container...

That sounds great, I'd love to see your harvest as well!! Could you take a picture of that when the time comes and show it to us? I'd love seeing them. Peanuts is something you don't see everyday, hehehe, no many people grow 'em.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That sounds great, I'd love to see your harvest as well!! Could you take a picture of that when the time comes and show it to us? I'd love seeing them. Peanuts is something you don't see everyday, hehehe, no many people grow 'em.

It won't be for a while yet. I think I harvested at the end of September last year (still don't know what I did with those peanuts...) I'm headed outside in a bit; I can take some pictures of the plants at least. It's my day off and I've been moving very slowly, lol.

Reaction score
It won't be for a while yet. I think I harvested at the end of September last year (still don't know what I did with those peanuts...) I'm headed outside in a bit; I can take some pictures of the plants at least. It's my day off and I've been moving very slowly, lol.

It's a pity to hear that :( But you go girly! By the way, are you now working at a gardening center? It sounds like you spend a lot time outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's a pity to hear that :( But you go girly! By the way, are you now working at a gardening center? It sounds like you spend a lot time outside.

I spend probably 8 or 9 hours of my day outside, depending on if I do anything in my own yard before or after work. I get breaks on the job and a 30 minute lunch, but it's not really enough time for the body to cool down so cold liquids are a necessity. I bought popsicles a few days ago and one of the ladies from floral passed out frozen treats yesterday. I am beginning to strongly dislike the phrase "heat index."

Reaction score
I spend probably 8 or 9 hours of my day outside, depending on if I do anything in my own yard before or after work. I get breaks on the job and a 30 minute lunch, but it's not really enough time for the body to cool down so cold liquids are a necessity. I bought popsicles a few days ago and one of the ladies from floral passed out frozen treats yesterday. I am beginning to strongly dislike the phrase "heat index."

I totally feel your pain, been having to go out a lot running errands around the city, one of my arms is super tan while the other is much lighter. I can't wait for the summer to be over. Hang in there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I totally feel your pain, been having to go out a lot running errands around the city, one of my arms is super tan while the other is much lighter. I can't wait for the summer to be over. Hang in there!

They keep teasing us with talk of rain chances, and then the forecasts change... I think I need to mound up around the peanuts again. Last year I had the one volunteer plant in a 3 gallon nursery pot, this time I have four or five plants each in large storage containers. I really need to spend more time in the garden in general...

Reaction score
They keep teasing us with talk of rain chances, and then the forecasts change... I think I need to mound up around the peanuts again. Last year I had the one volunteer plant in a 3 gallon nursery pot, this time I have four or five plants each in large storage containers. I really need to spend more time in the garden in general...

That sounds great, to be honest you sound to be so busy with your garden, more busy than I ever will with those peanuts alone. I only wish I had that much space to work with :( I hope you guys get some rains soon, I hate to be teased like that, but after it rains... do you guys feel like you are in a sauna? Here that happens!

Ask a Question