Paulownia tomentosa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have 4 of these about 2 feet long in small pots. What should I do next? Just plant them in the desired locations or move to a bigger pot?
Thank you
Best regards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How lovely Johnathan, these are fantastic trees, and very fast growing, nice and easy to germinate, but a bit tender when they are small. If they were mine, I would carefully transplant them into big pots, and mollycoddle them for a while until the warmer weather can be a bit more reliable.
They really are quick growers, and might make about 6ft in the first year. I think you ought to send me one actually 🤤 Make sure when they do go out that you plant in a sheltered place out of the wind if possible, those big leaves are a bit prone !! Also watch out for frost pockets and places that might hold too much water - they don't like soil that doesn't drain well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How lovely Johnathan, these are fantastic trees, and very fast growing, nice and easy to germinate, but a bit tender when they are small. If they were mine, I would carefully transplant them into big pots, and mollycoddle them for a while until the warmer weather can be a bit more reliable.
They really are quick growers, and might make about 6ft in the first year. I think you ought to send me one actually 🤤 Make sure when they do go out that you plant in a sheltered place out of the wind if possible, those big leaves are a bit prone !! Also watch out for frost pockets and places that might hold too much water - they don't like soil that doesn't drain well.
Thank you for the information. Yes, the wind should not be an issue as there are hedges. The soil also should be fine as it's on slight elevation and proper soil not some clay. I definitely will be transplanting them as soon as I can do it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just watch out for frost - those late ones can catch you out. Just until they're established that is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replanted them to much bigger pots. Paulownia is not straight. Not sure if this is normal or bad and they need some support.

Attachments

• ead03bc5-efd7-4905-a604-b5571ada8fe6.jpeg
    ead03bc5-efd7-4905-a604-b5571ada8fe6.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would support them with canes now and tie them loosely in a couple of places. I would also cover the root ball with a bit more compost too, and give them a good drink.
Keep them in a sheltered spot now out of the cold wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codger22

Latest Threads