New to Gardening - Starting from Scratch Need Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I am brand new to gardening and I currently don't know anything. I want to get tips and try to set up the garden correctly. Attached is a picture of what I have to work with. The area is 32 feet wide X 64 feet long. I live in Taos, NM and my planting zone is 6a. I want to plant watermelon, canteloupe, honeydew, strawberries, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, snap peas, and onions. I would love to get advice on how to set it up.

Garden.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI. I am not from that area of the country and the climate is very different. But, I would first suggest a thorough soil analysis of various parts of the area. That way you can identify what you garden may need to get it started correctly. From there you can amend the soil according to each of the crops that you intend to plant. Hope that helps a bit
Best, TommyMic https://www.instagram.com/figgiesgardn/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Besides the above, I think your list is too heavy on melons. They spread out and fight each other for nutrition. Maybe just do 2 types at opposite ends.

You're going to need lots of water for them.

You're too late or too early for peas, they like cool weather.

Root vegetables might do well through your colder seasons, many will tolerate frost and you can harvest them in say February.

Meadowlark has extensive experience growing in a similar climate.

Ask a Question