Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
very true and you won't have to worry about termites or fire danger

j.w

Reaction score
I did that w/ rocks up against our last home and it really looked nice and it was easy to just squirt the weeds w/ vinegar or weed killer in between the rocks. We did lay down weed cloth there also under the rocks. I'm not a big fan of weed cloth but it helped w/ that situation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wish I could do more rock in my gardens but it is not cheap to get them here and with fuel costs going up it is not likely to get cheaper anytime soon .I try to keep mulch at least a foot away from the house .I would rather have rock there

Reaction score
I am not a fan of rubber mulch. It is too permanent as it won't break down and if you ever want to change the color you would have to rake it all up.

But isn't that better than replacing mulch every year ??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It can be but rubber mulch can sometimes be a eyesore after awhile .i changed all my red mulch to brown but was lucky as some of it had already went to dust .Rubber mulch some home inspectors frown on it when you are selling your house .My son is a home inspector and thinks it should be classified as a hazard ,fire and smell and toxic .He does not like it but no state bans it yet ,but in the future you never know .If you have actual tires on your property most home inspectors well red flag them and suggest they be removed

j.w

Reaction score
I love the smell of new tires and gasoline! Whenever we go to Costco I have to swerve towards the tire center when walking on the way out to get a whiff :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
good gosh what next tire and gas junky now LOL

j.w

Reaction score
You ever watch that show on tv where people eat/drink and do weird things. Well this one girl drinks gasoline! Think it's called Strange Obsessions or something.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For pets and children they are finding it is not as safe as first thought

Reaction score
My school has an area we want to change into a butterfly garden and it has a LOT of weeds and some grass. We are going to lay down several layers of cardboard, water it down then cover it with mulch from other flower beds that are too thick. It will be used as a lessen on reusing recyclables and composting for the students.

Reaction score
How thick is the cardboard you are using? My concern would be if you use cardboard that is too thick it will cause water to run off rather than be absorbed into the ground below.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Also have to watch some cardboard they wax it and water does not get absorbed into it .I have used it also ,but it can get a tad bit slimy and slippery when walked on when it gets wet under the mulch .I was told to slit it in spots when i used ,well after it was done ,oh well to late .I did take a shovel and stab down at it to puncture it

j.w

Reaction score
I've used the cardboard on huge garden beds to kill the grass over the whole fall/winter. I laid it all down and then put lots of compost over the top of it. Took it off in the Spring and it worked great! I also used my left over pond liner and that worked fine also. Didn't cover it w/ compost tho. Just used bricks, rocks,boards and water jugs to hold it in place. Don't like digging if I don't have to and then you keep all that good topsoil also.

Ask a Question