Help to id this cherry tree if anyone can

Reaction score
Country
United States
HMM, look at the video in post #6 that seasoning powder is not from the flesh of them I dont think, it cant be just because of the color, it is the color of the seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in kansas U.S.A. So by the time they are ripe (around june 1st) we are having nights in the 60's to about 75, I assume that is not what you would consider cool because they taste like dookie.
we make cherry vodka with the nankings, and it is sooo delicious, I could never see using these choke cherrys for that.
I can see the ground seeds being good for some seasoning purposes, I am going to pick and try that, I am thinking clean them of that nasty flesh then place on a baking sheet in a low heat oven for a bit to dry them out then to the coffee grinder with them, unless someone else has a better proven way to get them to powder form.
Yeah, we get down into the upper 40's. Makes it hard for real gardening... but for fruit like apples and grapes its awesome because it causes the fruit to be much sweeter. A friend has a Vinyard here at our high elevation (6500ft) and his pinot noir grapes actually put on too much sugar sometimes. He said that was bad and had an over my head reason.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
HMM, look at the video in post #6 that seasoning powder is not from the flesh of them I dont think, it cant be just because of the color, it is the color of the seeds.

It is powdered from the pits. Just because people eat something in the world, doesn't mean they should eat something. It has amygdalin in it which becomes cyanide. So a human can survive eating the equivalent of something like 2 to 5 cherry pits, if you go a while in between eating them. Grinding concentrated large number of pits into a smaller powder. They probably do suffer negative health effects from eating it, but don't die because they only cook with it as a seasoning treat occassionally. It will build up & have a long term effect & it could hurt or kill you, if eaten in quantity or too often, or if you're sensitive. But, it is your choice what you eat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
googling is telling me some species are and some are not, so I will leave them alone, I might
just pull them out because they are pretty much useless since I wont be eating them.
Thanks for telling me

Reaction score
Country
United States
So just to add to this, it seems that cooking these or high heat destroys the amygdalin making it safe and non toxic.
I included a link below and verified this in several university studies of it that are on the web, so I guess a person should/would need to roast the seeds before grinding them and then when they are used in cooking would further increase the safety of consumption, I am interested in them only because I am a chef of sorts and always interested in new flavor profiles and am reading they have a unique and great flavor, I am nervous to try them though, I might do this process and make something with it and feed it to my chickens first then maybe try it in something or possibly even send a sample to a lab for analysis, that only cost a couple hundred bucks and would be well worth it to know if it is safe to consume after this process. :)
If I do that I will post the resulting analysis

Ask a Question