Help to harvest garlic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had this garlic indoors for about 3 quarters of its life. First planted about 15-16 weeks ago, it had a leaf already die and dry off and is not visible in the picture I believe. I was told that the 4th leaf is a good way to judge harvest time. The 3rd dead leaf in the picture I believe is actually the 4th
6A563CCC-767B-45FA-B902-F37511E23793.jpeg
5DFE9CB4-3D92-42CA-8B27-B1A68F14D8FE.jpeg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That is interesting...fourth dead leaf. I could never keep track, lol.

I always harvest mine much like onions...when the tops begin falling over it is time to harvest and start drying them out. I grow soft neck in my climate...yours?

This is my entire years' worth of garlic just about ready to harvest. It will make more than enough for "stringing" up, using, and bulbs for next year's crop. I'm probably within two weeks of harvest barring more rain.

I never buy garlic in the store o_O This stuff is to die for :love:
garlic 2024.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How important is it to stop watering? I have planted garlic on the same drip line as other veggies. What happens if I don't stop watering?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It is important...affects strength of taste and ability to store longer term. Preferably, I would withdraw all water at least a week before harvesting...but outside that isn't always possible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is interesting...fourth dead leaf. I could never keep track, lol.

I always harvest mine much like onions...when the tops begin falling over it is time to harvest and start drying them out. I grow soft neck in my climate...yours?

This is my entire years' worth of garlic just about ready to harvest. It will make more than enough for "stringing" up, using, and bulbs for next year's crop. I'm probably within two weeks of harvest barring more rain.

I never buy garlic in the store o_O This stuff is to die for :love:View attachment 103329
I believe it to be a soft neck garlic

Ask a Question