Have you ever bitten into a wormy fruit?

Reaction score
Talk of awful surprises. Few things can be more revolting than to realize you just ate some type of bug. My advice is to always look before you put anything in your mouth.
images

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've done it more times than I can count. I grew up around apple trees, so it's not something that surprises me anymore. But I don't think I'll ever get over the gross factor lol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Far too many times! I know I started chomping on cherries in one go ( some people take a bite out o_O) because I figured if I can't see the worm it won't gross me out! But yes it happens all the time. If I find out after I ate it my reaction is "Meh, whatever" but if I bite in and see it that fruit is getting flung into the air. o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I'd be absolutely horrified if I did that. I'd probably never be able to eat a fruit again. I'm pretty paranoid about that though, so I thoroughly look every every fruit before I eat it. I used to work in the produce section of a grocery store so we always looked over everything. I've seen a few nasty fruits before! I'd rather have a worm in my apple than a spider in my bananas though.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be absolutely horrified if I did that. I'd probably never be able to eat a fruit again. I'm pretty paranoid about that though, so I thoroughly look every every fruit before I eat it. I used to work in the produce section of a grocery store so we always looked over everything. I've seen a few nasty fruits before! I'd rather have a worm in my apple than a spider in my bananas though.

It is a bit gross but think of it this way, if a worm or a bug wants it it means it is healthy and good. I am more worried about the perfect looking produce in stores that doesn't rot or attract any insect to it, that discuss me even more than worms!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
It is a bit gross but think of it this way, if a worm or a bug wants it it means it is healthy and good. I am more worried about the perfect looking produce in stores that doesn't rot or attract any insect to it, that discuss me even more than worms!
The produce around here sure does rot and attract insects! Especially fruit flies and spiders. We can't even leave apples out of the fridge without fruit flies swarming.

If that apple is so healthy the bug wants it, it can have it. I'll take the slightly less healthy one that doesn't have a bug in it! Lol. Bugs don't seem to go after our fruit trees as much though. We get bees sometimes, but they mostly want what's on the ground or they just hover around. Sometimes our blueberries get bugs though. But since we wash them before eating, it's pretty easy to pick out the bad ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Fortunately, this has never happened to me. I always look before I put something in my mouth. All kinds of bugs and worms terrify me, I don't know what would I do if I ate one:eek:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I have and once was enough to learn to look well before biting into a piece of fruit! Pre cutting rather than biting into a whole piece of fruit would also eliminate the possibility.
For those of you who have had this lovely experience..Did you toss the piece of fruit or did you, after resuming your composure, cut out the worm occupied part and continue munching ? I tossed the peach and ran off to gargle and brush!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I have and once was enough to learn to look well before biting into a piece of fruit! Pre cutting rather than biting into a whole piece of fruit would also eliminate the possibility.
For those of you who have had this lovely experience..Did you toss the piece of fruit or did you, after resuming your composure, cut out the worm occupied part and continue munching ? I tossed the peach and ran off to gargle and brush!!
Uh, I toss it of course and this would be an accurate representation of what I do after:
lq6mVjlG1zxRK.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I'm sure it must have happened to me when I was young, but for most of my life I've cut fruit up instead of biting into them to avoid this happening.

If that apple is so healthy the bug wants it, it can have it. I'll take the slightly less healthy one that doesn't have a bug in it!

It's not a case of the health of the apple as such, but the fact that the treated fruit which are totally bug free are full of toxins which will be bad for your health.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
It's not a case of the health of the apple as such, but the fact that the treated fruit which are totally bug free are full of toxins which will be bad for your health.
If we're considering buying from companies which are spraying their plants, of course. However, perhaps I am just lucky, but I've never seen produce in the stores that had bugs in the first place. Well, a few spiders but those aren't bugs.

I assumed we were talking about local suppliers or perhaps our own back yard where it is much more likely get fruit with worms. I don't bother buying apples as I have an apple tree in my back yard. :p As such, there are no chemicals used, and still no worms. ;) Actually I find it a bit strange to think worms would be in apples. I'm sure many people have, but I've never once seen them unless they were on the ground. I guess I got lucky with bug free fruit? Perhaps there are microscopic bugs that have drilled holes into my apples so tiny that I was unable to see them though. That's a bit horrifying to think about.

I was just joking about picking a less "healthy" fruit. Either way, I'm fairly sure my apples from my own back yard are are not bad for my health.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Haha to be honest, the whole worm-in-apple thing was always just a picture in children's books. I've never encountered wormy fruit before, but if I did, I think I would swear off fruit forever!

Reaction score
There is nothing more gross than taking a big bite out of a wormy mango; there is nothing more distasteful and it always seems to happen to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ugh! How traumatizing! I don't even want to think about that! That would make me lose my appetite FOREVER! I am very picky about the texture of my fruit and I inspect it for holes and bruises and soft spots. If, after all that, I found a worm I would be very upset.

I did find a plant growing inside a tomato once. That was a little freaky, especially as I had already eaten part of the tomato.

Ask a Question