Go All The Way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm very interested in keeping Microbs happy.

Some say put plastic on ground to kill weeds but got to thinking it will get so hot it will kill Microbs.

Guilty I use Peroxide told it was safe. Found it kills Microbs.

After understanding I feel I'm to do everything to make them happy.

I'm raising Cannabis and people are saying you smoke it. Well you eat vegetables.

big rockpile
Peroxide is fine! I spray my tomato leaves in 8oz/gal once a week to control leaf spot. I’ve also drenched my soil a number of times for fungus gnats. My seedlings get watered/sprayed with it almost every time. The soil microbes regenerate fully within a couple days. Also “mosquito bits” work wonders for gnats (which is another “organic” solution that won’t harm the soil life). Just watch out for synthetic fertilizers as they will build up salts and your soil and WILL harm the microbial life. Especially if you’re smoking the cannabis, no amount of flushing will remove all the fertilizer from the buds, and it’ll be cracking when burned 🫢.

Edit: Also for weeds, a few inches of a good quality hardwood mulch does wonders. Then just make a habit of getting out there and pulling the big weeds that make it through each week or two. It’s good exercise, and next year it turns into compost! It’s a win win 😉.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Peroxide is fine! I spray my tomato leaves in 8oz/gal once a week to control leaf spot. I’ve also drenched my soil a number of times for fungus gnats. My seedlings get watered/sprayed with it almost every time. The soil microbes regenerate fully within a couple days. Also “mosquito bits” work wonders for gnats (which is another “organic” solution that won’t harm the soil life). Just watch out for synthetic fertilizers as they will build up salts and your soil and WILL harm the microbial life. Especially if you’re smoking the cannabis, no amount of flushing will remove all the fertilizer from the buds, and it’ll be cracking when burned 🫢.

Edit: Also for weeds, a few inches of a good quality hardwood mulch does wonders. Then just make a habit of getting out there and pulling the big weeds that make it through each week or two. It’s good exercise, and next year it turns into compost! It’s a win win 😉.
I looked up Peroxide and it says it will hurt Microbs. Everything else says it is ok.

I have I think it is BTI liquid couple drops in water will take care of Fungus Gnats.

I won't use Neem once in Bloom.

Just pulled weeds out of Strawberry and Asparagus Beds.

I was told not to use Wood Chips and Till them in but another guy says he has use them no problem. I really like using them I can get them pretty easy.

Worked my tail off shredding then burnt the Shredder up. I've used all my Leaves for Mulch.

I'm thinking stupid get Mulching Blades for my Mower. Put Leaves on my Lawn.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tell your son to start making tea with his herb and stop smoking it. Any sort of smoke getting into your lungs is going to be bad for you.
He smokes lots of regular cigarettes. Yes he is messed up.

He don't like edibles because he says they are too strong or he hasn't figured out how to regulate them.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use to Farm big time. At that time we didn't use Roundup but did use synthetic Fertilizer.

I cultivated the Corn didn't raise Beans then. But raised Wheat, Barley and Oats.

At the time for Hay had Orchard Grass Lespediza mix and Alfalfa.

Before Roundup they would hire crews to Chop Cotton and Beans.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Farming practices and understanding have changed over the years and we can achieve things by different methods, but it is true to say that chemical fertilisers have saved millions from death by starvation in the past. Don't knock yourself for that.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Homemade organic is always better, healthier, sustainable. Its not always what the modern world considers "easy" or a "quick fix", but most people that want to garden easy are supremely ignorant of the long term harm and wider ranging issues that causes. The only reason to use a chemical is if there is no other way because say a pest is resistant to natural methods & only if you know how to mitigate the fall out afterwards. Most synthetic things stay in the soil, the air & water a long time. Things like that unballance hormones and chemical processes in our bodies & harm the ecosystem, they can be highly toxic & build up in your system when you harvest and eat or use the things you grow afterwards. The effects may not cause immediate illness, but they can cause things like illness later in life, cancers, infertility, etc. You are not being rediculous to be strictly organic, but every once in a while we may have to reach for something not organic, because there is no organic equivalent descovered or remembered.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use to Farm and buy and sell seed.

Everything was done as everyone else does.

We used mostly Synthetic Fertilizer and even with seed we used synthetic chemicals for Funguside and to kill bugs.

In past couple years I have learned stuff I wish I had known before.

big rockpile

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Homemade organic is always better, healthier, sustainable. Its not always what the modern world considers "easy" or a "quick fix", but most people that want to garden easy are supremely ignorant of the long term harm and wider ranging issues that causes. The only reason to use a chemical is if there is no other way because say a pest is resistant to natural methods & only if you know how to mitigate the fall out afterwards. ...
Very well stated, especially the "supremely ignorant" description.

Quick and easy is anathema is to nutrient dense soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I only worry about pleasing myself. What anyone else "believes" I should do is actually, if you yearn for their approval, a self- imposed act of voluntary manipulation. Like my Grandmother used to say; " You are your own Master, do what you think is right. "

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mad Meg

Latest Threads