Fruit in a small yard

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the best types of fruit to plant in a smaller yard? I can probably get away with planting an apple tree (but it will take a while to grow and product apples L). What about strawberries? I would love something that doesn’t take a whole lot of work to maintain.

I would LOVE to have a lemon tree but I’ve heard those don’t do well in cold weather; the same with fit trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What zone are you in? You can add it to your profile so that members can better help you - just go to your member name at the top-right of the screen, click on personal details, and enter your zone where it says 'Hardiness Zone' (there is a link there in case you don't know your zone).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am in Michigan and the weather is unstable, but strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and dwarf peach tree are good to grow here. Not lemon tree though unless you have a green house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@KimmyMarkks , you REALLY need to post where you live, several people have asked now and you haven't responded. You're asking a lot of questions that can't be answered without knowing that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Before you plant any fruit trees determine if they need a second tree to pollinate. Strawberries are easy to grow and so are raspberries and blackberries. Blueberries are not that easy so I would stay away from them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Strawberry beds are a fair bit of work each autumn, and eventually they need moved.
I've found that the best way to grow them is in pots; easiest to maintain, easiest to change the soil.
Primocane raspberries are excellent to grow, but it's best to do a bit of work on the bed prior to planting, to stop them spreading. They give a huge crop for the area under cultivation. You also get a crop first year.
The dwarfing of apple trees makes them mature, and thus fruit, much earlier.
Buy a 2-y-o tree and you can expect a few fruit 18 months after planting, quickly rising to a full crop.

Reaction score
I think your best bet would be to try out some berries. Those would do great in a small yard. You just need to make sure that you match up with the seasons. I'd hate for you to plant them and then have winter come around and ruin everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Lemon tree is my suggestion although I cannot say about winter because I live in a tropical country. What's good about lemon is that it has no fruiting season, meaning it can give you fruits all year round. And it has a small footprint that would fit if you have a small yard like ours (about 25 square meters). And lemon tree is easy to take care for it needs only water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
It depends where on your location. When i was on Malta i had a lemon tree, a grapefruit, a tangerine, an orange tree and olive tree. Here in Serbia i don't have those but i have a Morello cherry , a fig tree and two types of pears a winter one and the spring one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Golden delicious apple trees will do well in your area. they don't need a second tree to pollinate it , you can buy a 2 year old in the spring and the following year you will get apples. I have a lemon tree but it grows in a pot and lives in my sun room all winter. but I do love fresh lemons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree with the dwarf peach tree suggestion. They are small, do not take up a lot of space, they require some manageable pruning, but they can produce an abundant amount of fruit. Last year the peach tree we had had so many peaches, we needed to pick them constantly to make sure the overloaded btanches would not break, and their fruit was delicious! Strawberries are a good option as well, but they can be finicky sometimes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
Strawberries aren't really tall,but they can spread out quite a bit as the runners will branch out with new growth. However, strawberries are delicious so I would definitely recommend this. Raspberry bush is another fruit that doesn't take up too much space in a small yard.

Ask a Question