Can I save or improve this scrawny lilic bush?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been trying to fill out this lilac but the growth always goes to the outmost buds after pruning and I'm left with scrawny branches. Should I try to prune it back even more or are there any other ways to get it to be more bushy?

Attachments

• scrawny lilac.jpg
    scrawny lilac.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't prune until the dead of Winter. At that time (Winter) take about 6-inch cuts back to the node on all the top branches. Do that every year until the plant get bushy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you want more flowers, prune it right after it finishes blooming. They flower on the previous years growth. Then feed it well with any all-purpose fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't prune until the dead of Winter. At that time (Winter) take about 6-inch cuts back to the node on all the top branches. Do that every year until the plant get bushy.

Thanks for the reply. Is the node the same as one of the buds on a branch? If so, if there are several buds along one branch, how far should I cut back?

Ask a Question